Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Have Viking professional dual fuel 48" duel oven.

Customer Question
***** *****. Have Viking...
***** *****. Have Viking professional dual fuel 48" duel oven. Left oven started buzzing and began self cleaning cycle while baking at 350. Exhaust fan also engaged which I think is due to the self cleaning.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Vdsc4856qss model
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
4/5/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks! Did it actually get hot like as in self cleaning and what did you have to do to get it to shut off? Where was the noise coming from?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It was already baking when a buzzing starter (sounded like back left which would be behind the smaller oven on left) and the "cleaning" started. This engaged the lock on the door and the fan.
Did it stay heating until at self clean temperature?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At this point I rotated the temp knob higher and lower to see if some threshold had to be met to start the self cleaning. It seemed binary. Meaning, it it illuminated the light indicating heat, the the latch engaged again and the fan began.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
When I brought the temp down and the light went out, the latch would slowly release to allow the door to open.
So the issue is with the control part of the electronics, not a mechanical issue, like a welded contact in a relay.
Will it start a regular bake setting now and operate as designed?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have not turned it back on since the incident. I could try to cycle it again but thought it best to leave alone until solved. I won't be able to check until I get home in an hour or so.
It is either the main control or the interface (the knob control) that has failed. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine which may be failing with 100% accuracy. I suspect the issue lies with the main electronic control, though. How old is the range?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
About 6 years.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the main electrics a standard mother board w connectors?
Okay, no warranty left, thank you. Let me know what happens when you attempt to start another bake setting, please.
Yes, it is all plug in connectors.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. Thx Kelly
Thank you.
John, Home Appliance Technician