How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Appliance Guru Your Own Question
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Category: Appliance
Satisfied Customers: 14604
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
Type Your Appliance Question Here...
Appliance Guru is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a jenn air 36 inch gas cooktop model jgd3536ws01. The

Customer Question

I have a jenn air 36 inch gas cooktop model jgd3536ws01. The fan switch has broken and sunk into the panel and no longer controls the fan. The fan now turns on and off intermittently. I think that I need to buy a new fan switch and am not 100% sure on how to remove the top panel to access the cavity where the switches are located. I am assuming that I need to remove all 5 burner bases as I've already removed 6 screws within the venthood channel that seemed to be holding the panel on and the top still won't budge
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am GURU an extremely experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and personally did not receive that money. The only way I am credited is when you use the STAR/VOTE RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. Lastly when we are done please post to me that you would like me "GURU" credited before supply the rating so there is no confusion on the tech to be credited for the question. Thank you!


Just remove panel number 9 at this link to get at it


Also here is what the switch looks like remove screws 18 and then the switch drops out below through panel number 9


The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no panel 9 on my unit. It is one solid piece and the bottom looks like a cap that is welded on. The model is jgd3536ws01 for the last character I'm not sure if it is a zero or an 'o', guessing it's a zeroSo, i can't remove the panel to access the switch as you suggest, tho the image you sent looks like mine and I think the switch that I need is this one. It seems I would have to access it from the top to attach it securely though as the knob used to be very tight and a firm turn was required. If i try to replace the switch from below with barely any access, not sure how it would be possible to stabilize the switch even if I were able to access and then reconnect a new one. Your advice? thx mc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you pls also confirm whether or not this is the correct part for the fan switch? it appears to be but since i haven't been able to take the stove apart to take out the old one, i can't be sure. i don't really want to take stove apart without having the new part in hand. That way i only have to take it apart once. need to use the stove while i wait for part to come in so would have to reassemble it after getting the broken part out.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

The part number is 4456836

I have never seen that cover welded on there should be screws holding it on, I have done the job a bunch of times

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. yes, that seems like the right part. I can't for the life of me figure out how to open it up to get access to where the switch goes. Also, given that it is installed in the counter, even if there were a panel 9 with screws that I could remove, there does not seem to be enough space to get fingers/hands in there to switch out the faulty part. Does the entire cooktop need to be uninstalled to do the switch? is there any way to send you a picture? thx
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

You then have to lift the cooktop out of the hole. Disconnect the down draft vent from the unit and lift it out as you have to get that panel off to get at it, there is no way to do this from the top.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see two top screws for panel 9, but don't see the two bottom screws at all, it is all smooth metal. So if I understand correctly, once i unscrew the screws in panel 9 (mine only seems to have 2) then the blower unit should disconnect from the cooktop and I can then lift the cooktop out completely to access the switch from underneath? thx
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have unscrewed the top two screws in what might be panel 9, but nothing budges and there are no other screws on that surface to remove. It almost looks like i might have better luck separating the blower vent unit from the cooktop by unscrewing the screws within the vent channel from the top of the cooktop, e.g., screws 1 in the diagram that you sent me, only mine has about 5 screws within that box, not 1. That seems to be the best way to do this. Might you be able to recommend a jen air tech that can come to my house in the bay area to do this? thx
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Let me know the city and state you live in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alamo, ca 94507
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
alternatively, is there a website/video that shows how to access the part that you are describing. somehow my blower unit must be different from the one in the diagram. It would seem that it was possible to take the entire countertop panel off as when I remove the blower knob, there is a hole where the broken switch is visible. If the top panel were removed, it would seem that it would be very easy to replace the faulty switch from above. Sorry for all the ?s but your vent blower unit is somehow different from mine. Would the serial no. help you find the one that I have? D01169284 thx mch
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

You could call this place


This is the parts breakdown for your unit. I have never seen this come out from the top as the screws that hold the piece that the switch mounts to are inside that box where the cover is part number 9


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blower unit diagram is somehow slightly different tho all the other diagrams look correct. The blower unit box just doesn't have panel 9 to remove. I appreciate your advice and would like to continue the conversation, as you suggested as I don't feel like I've gotten sufficient info. I think we've identified the correct part as it is consistent with what I had identified on my own before speaking with you, and if someone knew what my stove looked like from under the counter, they could advise how to actually go in and replace that part which seems like it would be straightforward. I am not understanding how removing panel 9 which connects to the blower, would give access to the switches that are for the knobs which are further to the right and would seem inaccessible to a screwdriver through the blower box. Thank you for your help, are you able to refer me to another online technician that might have seen my type of stove? thx again
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

The diagram is for your unit, the diagram is not wrong for your model. I have worked on more of these than probably any tech on here. You are likely wrong and not seeing how to remove the panel. I have wasted my time for free with you and I will opt out for another tech.

Related Appliance Questions