Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My washer agitates slowly or weakly bit spins fine

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
3/27/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Answer:

Typically when that happens the speed sensor is dirty or failing. That tells the board the speed of the motor and if it is not working right it will have pause the motor longer before going in the opposite direction. It is part #911 at this link.

CLICK HERE

Happy Easter!

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me give you a little more info I found.. I put my meter on the capacitor while it tries to agitate and I get 150 volts when it goes in one direction and some times I get as low as 5 volts when it tries to go in the opposite direccion those 5 volts will vary some times it will be 150 ,130,50,70 does this support the speed sensor failure???? Just asking because I want to have a little more certainty before I order the part
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
not only pauses the motor it also seems like it does not have enough force to agitate, it barely moves

Have you checked the motor windings with a ohm meter to see what they read?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they both read 6 ohms but I don't know what they should be at
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/awG2ybNVdUo
Please watch this video I removed the cover and recorded the way it agitates

If you are getting that low of power to the winding when it rotates you either have a bad capacitor or a bad control board. I would change out the capacitor watching the video it looks like a failed capacitor.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The original capacitor is a 45 micro farad and I swapped it with a 48 micro that I had and it did the same do you think the difference in capacity will matter, some Body told me that the problem could be the tub bearing but that did not made sense to me. What do you think is there any chance that a bearing will cause that?.. Is there a way to check the board??

If you take the belt off does it rotate fast?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does

Does the center pulley spin freely by hand it should, if it is bound up that could be the issue.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/sd2mSYhRLCw
Belt on and water for small load
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/NbQOk8xD-yE
This one shows the motor with no belt
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What do you think should I go ahead and order the speed sensor??? Or should I check the board some how?

I would try the speed sensor

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK I will order it and see what happens

ok sound good

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you see something else on the diagram that I should test???
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://youtu.be/fFm3Ywcvl6M

The 6 ohms should be ok so this basically leaves the board as the only thing

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician