Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

GE clean speak dryer will not run. When the setting is

Customer Question
selected it will respond, as...
GE clean speak dryer will not run. When the setting is selected it will respond, as soon as I hit start, a relay on the board (new from ge) then it goes dark. After a few seconds it will come back on like nothing happened. The board and the motor are brand new.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Additionally; I have ohmed out everything from the diagram with values and it all checks out. I have checked for short to ground everywhere I could. The test that lead to the motor was unplugging it and trying to turn it on. It acted like everything was fine, it also has two new fuses...just in case.
3/25/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

The fact that it goes dead as soon as a load is applied is indicative of a power supply issue. I would look at the cord connections and measure the voltage when you go to start the dryer. Does the voltage drop?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No voltage drop; checked across the fuses on start up, amp draw at the box. All were within parameters. I am an HVAC technician by trade so I started looking towards the obvious that would not trip the breaker. I just fixed a load balance issue on the washer a week before this went down. It is not even 2 yet.

Yikes, that is too new to be having major trouble with! If it acts okay with the motor unplugged, there has to be something in the motor harness that is causing issues.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have pulled the plug from the board to look for problems, all thermistors are reporting back as "okay" the board has a self diagnostics setting, it is not throwing any codes.

What was the part number of the board you installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Let me check on that. I did a thorough look over and the only difference between the two is the steam relay on the board. Give me a few

Sure, thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Old board is gepn 234d1615g001
New board is gepn 234d1615g001
Again, as boards go, this is just the same with upgraded bcm modules.

What happens if you disconnect the wires from the heater and start it? One of the wires on the motor is the output from the centrifugal switch to the heater. It is designed so that the heater cannot energize unless the motor is running. If the heater circuit is having issues, it may not show when the motor is unplugged because it will lose that side of the power supply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will have to tape things off to do that test. It is interlocked with the motor.

I would just tape the element wires off.

Kelly, Appliance Technician