Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My ge monogram wine cooler is not cooling, zdbc240, the unit

Customer Question

my ge monogram wine cooler is not cooling, zdbc240
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.
Customer: the unit is getting power and the light goes on and you can hear the compressor running but just not cooling
JA: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: no
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you hear anything running or is the unit 100% silent?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do hear the motor running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there an internal fuse for the cooling part of this?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately there are no fuses. If you hear a motor running, then the thermostat is working. Unfortunately that means that either you have a freon leak, an inefficient compressor, or a bad fan motor not cooling the compressor. Pull the unit forward and remove the lower back access panel. Make sure the fan is running next to the compressor. If not, then replace the fan motor because that will cause the compressor to overheat and not work properly. If the fan is running, this isn't an issue you can fix. You'd need to call a technician out to check the freon pressure because you either have a freon leak or a bad compressor and the cost of a new compressor is about $650 while a freon leak is about $350 to have repaired.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.