Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

I have a GE washer model # gtwp1800d0ww, that won't agitate

Customer Question
Hi, I have a GE...
Hi, I have a GE washer model # ***** that won't agitate or spin.
I don't believe it's a coupling problem because when I manually turn the rotator on the motor it moves the belt which turns the tub/spindles.
The motor flashes red continuously every 2 seconds when turned on but there's no turning of the belt or rotator on the motor. There are no issues with filling or draining as these function properly.
I've tried 'resetting' the motor by unplugging for 20 seconds then plugging back in and opening/close lid (wide or till I hear it click) for 6+ times. But this didn't seem to work.
Does this mean I need to replace my motor?
Also, I've kept my front panel open while trying these methods, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Please help! Thank you!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
3/21/2016
Appliance Technician: Sean F., Customer Service replied 1 year ago
Sean F.
Sean F., Customer Service

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you.

I noticed you tried resetting the washer motor. Instead of unplugging it for just the 20 sec, Unplug it of on less than 2 mins and then try resetting the motor. Le me know what happens. Just make sure you close your lid fully.

Let me know what happens.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just confirming the reset protocol:
Unplug for 2 minutes
Plug in then open and close lid 7+ times
Then turn on drain/spin cycle
This is correct, right?

You have 30 sec after you plug the unit back in. To lift the lid 6 times within 15 seconds. So all this needs done within 45 sec altogether.

Here is a youtube video done by GE

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZKqpoVX3t4

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After taking those steps I listed to reset, and done within 15 seconds, the belt still does not turn. Any other suggestions?

Since you have the panel off when you put the unit into spin will the motor even try to spin?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, nothing spins with panel off. Should I place the panel back?

No need to put the panel on.

GE Washer Error Codes for Top-Load Models

These error code explanations can help you diagnose a problem with your GE top-load washer. For repair how-to help, visit the PartsDirect repair help section, which includes repair help for washing machines, other major appliances, lawn and garden equipment, garage door openers, vacuum cleaners and more. You can also search for owner’s manuals, get advice from an expert and find washer replacement parts.

This error code chart covers GE top-load washers with an inverter control mounted on top of the drive motor. The inverter control manages the speed and direction of the drive motor. The inverter control has a diagnostic LED just under the top metal cover on the right side of the inverter control. Remove the front cabinet panel of the washer to view the inverter control and diagnostic LED. Don’t touch live electro-mechanical components inside the washer cabinet when running the washer with the front panel removed.

When the drive motor is operating normally and running, the inverter control LED blinks at a constant rate of 1/2 second on and 1/2 second off. When the drive motor is operating normally, and idle, the LED blinks at a constant rate of 1 second on and 1 second off. The drive motor doesn’t run and an error code is signaled when a component problem is detected. Error codes are signaled by a number of LED flashes followed by a pause. The error code repeats continuously until reset.

The component problem must be resolved and the inverter control reset before the motor can run. To reset the inverter control after the component problem is resolved, unplug the washer from the wall outlet until you hear a click when the inverter control capacitor discharges (about 15 seconds). Plug the washer back into the outlet and then open and close the washer lid 5 times in a 12-second period within the first 30 seconds of powerup.

Error CodeConditionCheck/RepairShop Parts

1 flashMotor failureUnplug the washer and replace the drive motor.
Drive motor

*****belt or loose hub nut on the spin basketUnplug the washer and replace the drive belt if loose or damaged. If the drive belt is okay, tighten the hub nut on the spin basket. Replace the drive motor if the drive belt and hub nut are okay.
Drive belt, Drive motor

3 flashesDefective inverter controlReplace the drive motor; the inverter control is part of the drive motor and isn’t sold separately.
Drive motor

4 flashesMode shifter circuit failedThe mode shifter is a component on the drive shaft assembly. Reconnect the wire harness between the inverter control and the mode shifter if loose or disconnected. Replace the drive shaft assembly if the mode shifter is defective; the mode shifter is part of the drive shaft assembly and isn’t sold separately
Drive shaft assembly (with mode shifter)

5 flashesMotor failureUnplug the washer and replace the drive motor.
Drive motor

6 flashesLocked rotor on the drive motorReplace any drive system components that prevent the drive motor from rotating. If drive systems components are okay, replace the drive motor.
Drive system components, Drive motor

7 flashesLid didn’t open for 4 consecutive cyclesThe inverter control expects to see the lid switch open after every cycle. When 4 cycles are completed without the lid switch opening, the inverter control assumes that the lid switch is defective. Unplug the washer and repair or replace the lid switch wire harness. If the wire harness is okay, replace the lid switch.
Lid switch, Wire harness

8 flashesMotor overheatedReduce the load of laundry if the washer is overloaded. Replace any drive system components that prevent the drive motor from rotating freely. If drive systems components are okay, replace the drive motor.
Drive motor, Drive system components

9 flashesMotor brake mechanism is defectiveUnplug the washer and replace the drive motor.
Drive motor

If everything checks out you will need to replace the motor itself as what I expect you will need to be done.

*****I am a independent tech that works with Just Answers. If you do not rate me with the 3-5 stars I do not get paid for helping you even though you have been charged. At anytime after rating me you can still ask me question at NO additional charge.

Thanks Sean

Here is a the part... http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Washing-Machine-Drive-Motor/WH20X10093/3029966?modelNumber=GTWP1800D0WW&ss=a11b3d1141004&mr=1

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still does not work.

You will have to replace the motor then. That control board on the motor is the brains of the washer.

**Here is a the part... http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/GE-Washing-Machine-Drive-Motor/WH20X10093/3029966?modelNumber=GTWP1800D0WW&ss=a11b3d1141004&mr=1

****I am a independent tech that works with Just Answers. If you do not rate me with the 3-5 stars I do not get paid for helping you even though you have been charged. At anytime after rating me you can still ask me question at NO additional charge.

Thanks Sean

Are you still with me?

Hi I am just following up with you if you still need help. If so let me know.

If not please contact customer support for a refund.

Sean F.
Sean F.
Sean F., Customer Service