Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

My Ice o Matic ice maker cooling fan short cycles. The

Customer Question

My Ice o Matic ice maker cooling fan short cycles. The compressor runs fine and it still makes ice. Why is it cooling fan short cycling?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Please know that I am not compensated for my time by the site until you rate using the stars at the top of your page. A rating is appreciated once we get to the solution for your appliance issue, thanks!

Thje relay that controls voltage to the fan is probably failing. Have you measured the voltage at the fan to see what it is doing when the fan stops? What is the cycle rate of the fan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not measured the voltage however the fan completely stops. The cycle rate varies from running a few seconds and shutting down to running a few minutes.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I suspect the relay will need to be replaced but I would measure the voltage first to be certain the fan motor is not faulty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try that now.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Great! Let me know what you find. Once the voltage drops out, see if you can near the relay chattering. Also, if you tap on it, does it start again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No chattering, The voltage read zero. I followed the fan motor to the relay connection but I can only get a nominal voltage and then zero. The other wire goes to what looks like a capacitor.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am assuming this is an AC motor.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Correct, sounds like that relay is faulty. It may be a socket issue but you will see once you pull the relay out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I guess my next step is to order a relay and change it out, correct?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If the socket does not appear to be burnt, yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, is there anything else I should look for?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

No, just that socket. You are losing the voltage at that relay.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How bad is it to keep running it until I change the relay out ?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It is a bit hard on the compressor if it gets real hot. You could place a small fan to blow on it while you are ordering parts to avoid any further issues. You can get a small fan at Walmart for $5-10.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good idea. I guess that is all the questions I have.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, thank you!