Need Appliance Repair Help? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

My GE cdw9380nss dishwasher makes a loud electrical

Customer Question
generator pump type noise for...
My GE cdw9380nss dishwasher makes a loud electrical generator pump type noise for about 3 minutes during its cycle. After the dishwasher is finished, there are still suds at the bottom. How can I fix this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Appliance
3/14/2016
Appliance Technician: ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician replied 1 year ago
ApplianceMAN
ApplianceMAN, Home Appliance Technician

the generator pump sound should be the actual pump pumping the water out of the dishwasher into the drain, How old is the dishwasher?

Sometimes the system needs the drain at the back/bottom of the dishwasher cleaned out. Should be a screen/filter that you can access from inside cleaned and then run the drain till its empty, Then you should be good to go.

Mine does this also! But spending 400-600$ for a new one when well this one still works im sticking with it :))))

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello - should there be standing water in 508 after the cycle is complete?http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/cdw9380n20ss/0432/0130000/g1311297/00002.html
http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/G1311297-00002.png

No there should not be, Have you cleaned filter/screen in back of unit? If thats dirty its not really uncommon

Also I would energize the pump to pump remaining out and you should be good. * How much water you have in there ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What's the part # ***** the schematic of the filter/screen? That info will help me locate the filter/screen...What do you mean by energize the pump to pump?

looks like 506-508

Do you have a turn knob at front of unit? if so turn it slowly start it in normal and just turn slowly till you hear the pump energize and let it dumb remaning water, once its done just take it to off position.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no knobs, just electronic...
Alright im gonna opt out and let another expert take over.its getting late here and want you to get this solved. All I ask is if the filter was dirty and that solved it please rate me so I can get paid for my time ill be opting out soon.Thanks for using just answers
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, we took off 506, should we remove 508 also?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Re-read the original question. To clarify, this noise is new.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 1 year ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

I am a different tech. The issue is the drain pump is cavitating due to the suds in the unit. Start the cycle up and wait until the unit starts to fill. Pour 1 gallon of VINEGAR into the unit and let it run through the cycle. This should clear the suds and the noise.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool, will give it a try tomorrow... I need to go to the store and get a gallon.

OK no problem at all!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Something odd is happening now. When I start a cycle, it sounds as if the dishwasher is draining. When I open the door it's almost as if there is a suction inside. The arms are not moving and there is no water inside. I pulled the power on the dishwasher for about 5 minutes, and then powered back up. Same results.

Ok did you wait until the unit started to fill before putting Vinegar in it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think it's filling anymore. Going to try again in a bit. Wife is washing dishes by hand at the moment... :-|

Ok let it keep pumping out till it stops and then try it again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good Morning - I just realized the reason for the loud noise. No incoming water. I ran the washer on 1) anti-bacterial, 2) normal, and 3) rinse only, all with identical results, no water. The water valve is turned on.

Ok is the valve energizing? If so do you have a flood proof hose to the dishwasher? If so that may have tripped shutting off water to the dishwasher.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No flood proof hose. How do I determine if the valve is energizing?

Remove the lower access panel and test for power to the valve with a meter or you can feel it it would be vibrating when powered.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cool, I can do that tonight when I get home.

Yes for sure, talk to you then I will be on all day until about midnight

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Again, is the valve part #744 and if so, do I need to pull the dishwasher out to test?http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/G1311297-00002.png
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/model-part/cdw9380n20ss/0432/0130000/g1311297/00002.htmlThank you,j

Yes part #744 is the inlet valve and you may need to pull it out a little to check it unless you can get at it easy from the front.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello Again -The inlet valve is definitely not energizing. When I start the dishwasher you can hear it drain but thats it.j

OK can you get a meter and see if it is getting power or check the dome flood float switch to see if it is working?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used a meter on the inlet valve and nada. I will go check the float switch.

OK I will be out for a hour or two but will post back

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, I think I am testing the dome flood float switch??? https://goo.gl/photos/yBUyUGqUmin2wWjB6Try this video

Yes that seems as if it is working and you still get no power to the fill valve when starting it correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that is correct. I noticed that the cycle seems to begin, no water, and the heating element turns on. No juice to the inlet valve.

Can you check the actually dome float microswitch under the unit to see if it is closed

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure, is that part #493? How should I check it?https://www.geapplianceparts.com/store/parts/ModelSectionParts/CDW9380N00SS/2/0/0/0/BODY_PARTS
http://assets.geappliances.io/parts/00000000/00065000/00065017.p02_2325.jpg

You should see two wires to the switch correct?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
there are two wires running to the switch.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, have you quit on me?

Connect the wires together and see if it fills if not replace the main control board.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, just to confirm, but I should put the wires together and start a cycle?

yes

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
After looking at the wires I was wondering what connecting them would do to test the control board. Doesn't connecting the wires do the same thing as unplugging them, which would be making the power not get to the float switch?

COnnecting them rules out the float switch as an issue

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One thing I really hated about this GE Cafe dishwasher is that the dishes came out wet. I figure because GE wanted to be Energy Star compliant. I don't want to use Jet Dry either. Is there a reliable stainless steel dishwasher that also dries the dishes (including tupperware) that you recommend?

Yes this one does, I own it. It has a water softener built in as well. If you fill the rinse aid this dries everything, the only thing I can say that is wet is the front door when done. That is how all these are though, but tupperware and dishes both get dry very good.

CLICK HERE

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I found a new control board on ebay for $77 delivered. Installed it. Turned the power on. The control panel strip lite up for a minute then died. Just died....

So if it dies now it is doing something different than before?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The control panel is dead, but when I close the door it makes the same noise as before. I am going to buy a new dishwasher. I was looking at the higher end kitchen aid's because they have heated dry. Another high end Maytag looked OK. People really seem to like the Bosch, but I am not a fan of rinse aid's, thus the reason for heated dry.

The Kitchenaids are not as good as they used to be. Also I have a high end Bosch, you can set the rinse aid dispenser down not to use rinse aid or just fill the rinse aid with Vinegar as it works very well. The Bosch dries the dishwasher very well and is a better quality unit than Kitchenaid. If you do get a Bosch get a Benchmark series unit not Ascenta....otherwise a Kitcheniad is not horrible, but not the best like they used to be.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The dishwasher works and it starts filling with water but the water is now leaking out of the float switch and onto the floor. Why is this part leaking and how can I stop the leak?

Can you take a picture of where it is leaking from and upload it here?

Replace that assembly the seal or float is bad part #492,493,494 at this link

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the star rating system at the top of your page for me thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The part only started leaking after I took off the float switch's cover that's inside the dishwasher. Would taking off the cover cause it to leak?

It could if you did not get it back on all the way, but that looks like it is been leaking for awhile

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It hasn't leaked before we started to take it apart. Is there a way to tighten the cover or something like that to stop it from leaking?

Yes make sure the base lock nut is tight so it is sealing the oring good.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician