John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

When I turn the broiler on, I dont hear the ignitor and it

Customer Question

When I turn the broiler on, I dont hear the ignitor and it doesn't light
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Does the unit work on BAKE?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to further complicate matters there are two broiler elements but neither ignitor is firing. When I try to use a lighter, I can light the left one but no gas is coming out of the right one - could it be the solenoid for the right unit shutting off the ignitor? Wouldn't it also shut off the gas for the left unit?

Let me see if another expert can assist you as

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

The ignition electrode, in addition to lighting the burner flame, acts as a flame sensor to proof the flame, and open the main gas valve. The first thing to check is the spark gap between the center rod and the outside arm. The gap should be 1/4 inch. If it's too wide, the spark won't jump from one to the other. Too narrow, and the spark will be too weak to light the pilot. After getting a pilot flame, may sure the spark electrode is in the flame well enough to glow orange, so it will send an electric signal to the gas valve, and open it. The electrodes can be adjusted for correct gas, as one would an auto spark plug. They can be repositioned by loosening the hold down screws. If, after completing the above tasks, there is no spark and flame, please get back to me, and we'll take further steps to solve your problem. Thank you for choosing JustAnswer.