Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

As a repair technician, how old, maximum, would you suggest

Customer Question

As a repair technician, how old, maximum, would you suggest in buying a used washer?
Also, any with fewer repairs that you'd recommend?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The Whirlpool direct drive machine is probably one of the best washers ever built. They are easy to fix, do a great job and parts are everywhere for them. They are also very dependable! The direct drive design was introduced in 1984. I would have no issues getting a machine that is 15 years + if it has been overhauled, which most used shops do before selling. You would not regret getting one of the earlier machines with no electronics, including temperature sensors, if you want a simple, long lasting machine. They are, by far, the best selling machines on the used market and, oddly enough, are bringing close to new prices in some cases! New machines are not allowed to use hot water, only warm, so the hot cycle is electronically controlled to maintain a warm temperature and the water levels allowed are so low that the cleaning is compromised, as well as the rinsing results!

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!