Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

We have a '98 SubZero 650/O (over/under) refrigerator. The

Customer Question

Hi Pearl .. we have a '98 SubZero 650/O (over/under) refrigerator. The freezer is holding temp fine at 0, but the refrige temp has climbed to 46. When this has occurred in the past a few times, we pulled the freezer basket, taken off the covers to the coils and fans, and used a hot air dryer to thaw out the coil, which then allows the fan to operate and send cold air to the fridge chamber above. The upper fan also works when the upper door top switch is closed. We had intermittent control lights in the control panel, now have none or fridge light, but the functions are still readable. Thoughts? Ken
JA: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?
Customer: Just that I'm good with a VOM
JA: Our top Appliance Technician is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Appliance Technician in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Appliance Technician until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

The issue is the unit is low on freon, you need the system recharged and you will need the evaporator in the refrigerator section changed out to permanently fix the issue.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR USING THE 5 STAR or VOTING RATING SYSTEM AT THE TOP OF YOUR PAGE before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
wouldn't that issue/situation also cause a problem with the freezer (which seems fine)?

No the freezer is a separate system all together.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is the refrigerator evaporator located on the SZ650?

It is behind the rear panel in the refrigerator. You need to remove the shelving and then the the screws along the top panel back edge the panel will rock forward and lift out exposing the evaporator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not at home this evening. Will check it out in a.m. thanks.

Ok great