Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I know how to check to see if a small electric vacuum motor…

Customer Question
I know how to...

I know how to check to see if a small electric vacuum motor will run out of the machine after i rebuild it. How can I do the same to a washing machine motor I have on my work bench?

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

I used a saw-zall to cut out a siezed washer motor. The saw blade slipped and broke the 7 or so connector to the motor. I ohm tested all of the connections on the wiring schematic and all the values were spot on. I want to make sure i didn't mess up the centrifical switch or field wires in the motor. The motor says 60 Hz, 120 volts on it, so I have it on my work bench, and want to connect a line cord to it, like I do a vacuum cleaner motor when I want to check it before I put the vacuum back together. I want to check the washer motor the same way. I know the importance of being grounded and such. I don't want to burn the motor out (phew). Thank you, Kenny

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes electrical issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Electrician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Electrician should be aware of?

I though The bearing was messed up, it is just a dust cover, the motor rotates sounds fine.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/8/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Depending on the motor, you would need to build a momentary on button to energize the start winding and then switch to the run winding. You may also need a start capacitor in line. It would probably be easier just to set it near its mounting position and plug it in to the machine's harness and see if it starts.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?