John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I just purchased a home with GE Profile Washer Dryer

Customer Question

I just purchased a home with GE Profile Washer Dryer (WPGT9150HWW / DPGT650GHWW). The dryer blinks "clean filter" even though the filter in the front seems relatively clear.
he washer works, but looks like somebody cleaned a really filthy load, and I can see grit along the top of the washer barrel, and it looks like threads have clogged up or are clinging to the ouside barrel of the washing machine. And between the hinge lid and the washer there seems to be an accumulation of gunk. Is there a way to remove the lid, and also get access to the outside of the barrel? I don't really want to put a load thru this until the washer is truly clean
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

I suspect the clean filter is a venting issue to the outside of the home .

That has nothing to do with the washer.

but if you want to clean the washer on the front corners you should have two clips that if you push a putty knife into and push back the top panel will come loose so you can raise it up like a car hood .

If you have any questions just reply back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, I sorta thought the dryer was back-vent related, they have a flex tube that's curled up against the wall, I'll try detaching that and cleaning that out.On the washer, are the clips on the front-side or direct front of the washer ?

on the front side right under the top panel seam

Stop !!

this is the newer plastic model the console has to be raised up and the screws for the top panel are under the console

You have four screws on the back of the console to raise the console up and open

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I haven't done it yet, but that will "pop the hood" as it were, and I can access the space around the barrell? Would that also allow me to access the "hing area" between the hood and the lid? Or would I be able to somehow remove the lid from the underside?

the hinge is right under the console and yes it will give you access to the hinge and the top of the outer tub on the washer.

And if the top is cruddy you may also want to use a washer cleaner in the washer .

I recommend a product named AFFRESH it can be purchased anyplace the laundry detergent is sold.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great, I'll check out it tonight, and get back to you tomorrow if that's OK.

sure that is fine .

Just copy This conversations URL and paste it into your favorites and get back to me when you can!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I removed the screws, and when I attempt to pop the top, there seems to be a bundle of wires, I don't know if I disconnect them from the lid or the washer

You are not removing the top your just lifting it open lid a car hood so that you can get to the interior of the washer.

If for some reason you feel that you need to remove the top and console you will need to remove all the wires form the connectors .

BUT that is not something I would recommend for you to do!!