Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My whirlpool top load washer will not fill with enough water…

Customer Question
My whirlpool top load...

My whirlpool top load washer will not fill with enough water to wash a load

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

The washer spins and has a little bit of water that comes out before it spins but it's only enough water to wash like 1 sock :( I've only got a cold water connection but the washer takes cold and hot

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?

I've purchased a Y to connect both hot and cold to and it's still not working

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/7/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU a very experienced tech on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can. I just picked up your question now.

Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money.

Are you just saying that it does not fill with enough water?

there's only a small amount of water that starts to go in then within 30 seconds it starts to go in spin mode

Does it ever fill and agitate?

I just purchased it today off of kijiji and nope only begins to fill then within 30 seconds stops then spins

Ok well that is part of the cycle...it will fill with a little rotate a bunch of times fill and do that again, it is a load sensing unit. Let it run for 10 minutes straight and see if it fills normally. Let me know.

Load sensing unit does that mean it won't work without any clothing in it ?

It will and will fill up, but it will take a little longer...if within 10 minutes it does not start a long fill cycle let me know it sounds like it is working the way it is designed.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR using the 5 STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

Okay is there a certain cycle I should put it on ?? So it's only supposed to full a little at a time then spin. So its not supposed completely fill up ??

It will fill up with a decent amount of water yes, just put it on a NORMAL cycle and start it and watch it.

The timer hasn't moved down from 47 no extra water has been added and it's just slowly spinning with no water in the bottom it's been stuck on the same time for 3 or more minutes

Yes that is normal let it go and just wait, it is just how this unit works.

Just give it some more minutes and it will stop and fill you will see

It got to LF but my boyfriend had pushed start
There was water coming out a lot but it wasn't staying in the bottom and now it's still spinning with a little water coming out but it's still not accumulating I'm going to restart the process and see if it works without pushing start

OK LF means LONG FILL, so the fill valve could be bad or plugged on the unit. CHeck the water supply to the unit and the screens on the fill valve. IF both are ok replace the fill valve.

The fill valve is located where you connect the hoses for hot and cold correct ? And checking water supply what do you mean by that ?

Yes the fill valve is where the water connects, look inside the ports where you connect the fill hoses to the machine, check the screens in the valve itself for blockages....then check the fill hoses to the machine turn on a supply and see if you can fill a bucket to rule out a water supply issue.

Okay I will try it'll just be a minute
I know for sure it's not the hoses we purchased brand new ones the same time the washer came. I'll check the washer valves and see if we can fill a bucket from main water it'll just be a few minutes

Ok no problem

It's filling now but taking a really long time so we are still going to take a look at the valve to see if it's clogged just want to wait and see what's going to happen with what's it's doing right now first

Yes no problem, the valve may be clogged or bad..if LF comes up again replace the valve on the unit.