Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I'm getting a consistent f20 error on a whirlpool duet

Customer Question
I'm getting a consistent...

I'm getting a consistent f20 error on a whirlpool duet wfw9400 front load washer. It almost always happens on the first wash. I have to unplug the washer then plug it back in and restart on the same cycle and it will finish normal. With small loads it doesn't happen as often but always with heavier loads. I've checked water pressure coming in, inlet valve screens, and pressure switch hose and all appear to be just fine. I have wondered if enough water is making it into the tub. When testing it empty it appears that there's only a couple of inches of water in the tub. Is this normal? I know the high efficiency washers use much less water but I guess I expected a little more than this. Any ideas?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I think I've shared all the details in my first post

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/5/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
the model /serial tag is just inside the door on the face frame after the door is opened on front loaders.

Are you still there! it has been over an hour and no reply back from you as of yet!

Model WFW9400SW02
Serial CSY1801790

Thank you !

Sorry I do not work on Sundays.

Ok the F-20 as it appears you know if a NO WATER DETECTED ENTERING MACHINE OR PRESSURE SWITCH TRIP NOT DETECTED.

And yes the couple of inches of standing water in the rear of the tub is normal.

Now you have checked the water level pressure switch water inlet valve screens pressure switch hose .which is fine .

But this machine senses the amount of water that is going into the machine via the flow meter in the water inlet side from the water valve to the dispenser .

This device has a small paddle wheel in it ,if it is not turning (possibly from a grain of sand of calcium) in the water it will not turn thus it will not tell the control board that water is entering the machine .

The flow meter is easy enough to test .remove it`s wire harness and remove it from the line.

And with a volt ohm meter you can test if for continuity as the wheel turns .

BUT only breath into the flow meter if you (blow hard) into it that can cause it to spin so fast that it will show it as not having continuity ,so just a nice smooth breath.

Let me know what you find

I`m normally on line from 10:00 -5 P.M. EST. mon-sat.

I forgot to mention I have replaced the flow meter but still get the F20 error. I noticed the water coming into the tub doesn't appears to trickle in and run down the glass door so I'm thinking I may have an inlet valve restriction. I went ahead and ordered a replacement inlet valve.

ok so it may be a issue of it just taking too long of a time for the water to come in also .

let me know if you have any questions .

That's what I'm thinking and especially after I read the online blog that sounded identical to my issue. I'll try the new valve and go from there.

no problem at all!

Always glad to assist you anytime.

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question on this washer issue just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.

Master Tech
Master Tech