Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have an old fridge (1950 westinghouse). It was doing the

Customer Question

Hi, I have an old fridge (1950 westinghouse). It was doing the whole hum then click and repeat from the overload. I ordered a 3 n 1 hard start to test the compressor. When I use it and plug in the power cord, the compressor kicks right on for about 3-5 seconds the then stops. Then if I let it sit unplugged for about 5 minutes I can plug it back in and it does the same. Any thoughts? Thanks!
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, I already tested the overload capacitor with a new one and no luck. As far as the relay goes; this is an odd one. The relay runs to a junction box where the power cord also connects to along with light wiring.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The run windings are bad in the compressor (provided hard start kit is installed properly). If you are certain the kit is installed properly, the compressor is faulty. The company below probably has a used compressor, though, if you want to pursue it!

Good Stuff

(###) ###-####/p>(###) ###-####/p>

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Kelly. For clarity, what are the windings or armatures? Are they on the terminals where the relay wires connect? Is there any way to repair those? Having a really hard time finding anyone that will do a compressor change out on such an old fridge. I would do it but I'm not a welder.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

The windings are inside the compressor, they are what start and keep the compressor running. The compressor sounds like it is starting but then not switching to the run windings to keep it running. It is all one assembly. That unit uses R12 refrigerant and is likely the reason you are having a hard time finding anyone to work on it. There is a replacement refrigerant but using it on a 65 year old refrigerator is just asking for trouble. You would need to track down someone who has some recycled R12 (or new old stock) and could recharge it with that. That company I sent you the numbers for likely has some but you would need to pay to get the refrigerator to him and then shipping back. The cost will be great to have it repaired but it can be done.