Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My Maytag washer quit 1-mnute before end of wash cycle,

Customer Question

My Maytag washer quit 1-mnute before end of wash cycle, would not extract and had a burning smell.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

If you're getting a burning smell and the washer didn't extract, that means that one of the 3 pulleys below the washer isn't spinning smoothly causing the belt to slip. To determine which pulley is the problem, just tip the washer backwards a bit and disconnect the belt. Turn the 2 smaller pulleys first BOTH DIRECTIONS. These pulleys should spin completely smooth and if not, then the front pulley is the drive motor and the back pulley is the pump. The pump is typically the part that fails where the bearing begins to seize up so that is the one I'd expect doesn't spin smoothly and the pump will need to be replaced.

Now if both smaller pulleys spin freely without much friction, then the large center pulley is your transmission. It should spin one direction rather smoothly and effortlessly. The other direction should have spring tension so it'll give you a lot of resistance but it should still spin. If not then you need a new transmission.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?