Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Dryer will not heat, checked everything, even the motor

Customer Question

dryer will not heat
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: checked everything, even the motor switch. All thermostats check out. Tried a new control board. I am down to looking at the control panel as a possible reason.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Appliance Technicians generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dv448aew/xaa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage is going into dryer at 240 and control board switch is working. Motor turns on and runs fine. It seems for some reason power is not coming from motor to heating element. Thermostats check out that lead to heating element. I am stumped. Checked everything out with multi-meter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just replaced heating element last month. Heating element has continuity at 10 ohms.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am a different tech do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. All the information is above. Am I missing something I am supposed to check. I will start over if I need too and go through the steps of why the heater is not going on.

OK get at the board with your volt meter and check for 120 volts out of the BLUE wire #4 terminal to ground do you have power there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not at the dryer right now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be there in 20 minutes

OK once there check that and then check the BLACK wire next to it for 120 volts to ground #3 terminal....then if you can check the back side of the board at that relay for a burned solder joint, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bottom is not accessible since it is in a plastic tray with a coating of clear plastic. On my original board I do see some sodder on the surface but I can't tell if it is abnormal. Anyway I have the original board on there now and 120v are going in the blue when I turn on the dyer. And 120v is going in the black when idle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did try the new board I have but still no heat.

OK so if you have 120 to the blue wire do you have that to ground at the heater terminal either side to ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you available in this evening, since I had to go back to work.
I just grounded it to the dryer frame not the heater terminal. I can do that, however.

Yes and if you want to pay for a phone call on this that would work way better!