Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a whirlpool washer model #wtw5200vq2. When it is

Customer Question

Hello I have a whirlpool washer model #wtw5200vq2. When it is filling the inlet fill solenoids cycle wildly hammering pipes. happens at all temp selections comes and goes. I thought it may the water inlet valve assy. so I replaced it and the supply hoses. Water pressure is ok still have same problem.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So this problem actually has nothing to do with your washer but the issue is caused by your washer---let me explain. The hammering you're getting is due to your pipes in your house not being 100% secure, that is why they hammer when the water shuts of or turns on. These new solenoids cut water off very quickly when the close unlike some older washers. That doesn't mean there is a problem with the washer--that is actually the way they were intended to work. They just create a lot of noise in your house if your plumbing isn't solid. There are 2 options. you can secure the pipe through your walls by adding more brackets, or you can install an Air Jack where the fill hoses from the washer connects to the valves on your house. The Air jack helps reduce the amount of pressure when the valves open and close since air compresses but water does not. Almost all new houses are installed with these on the washer fill valves due to the hammering affect that new washers can have on pipes.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?