Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I HAVE A 2 MONTH OLD KITCHENAID DISHWASHER WHICH JUST

Customer Question
STARTED NOT CLEANING THE...
I HAVE A 2 MONTH OLD KITCHENAID DISHWASHER WHICH JUST STARTED NOT CLEANING THE DISHES WELL. THE FILTERS ARE CLEAN. IF I START A WASH CYCLE, AND OPEN THE DOOR, THE SPRAY ARMS ARE NOT TURNING, AND WATER IS DRIPPING DOWN FROM THE TOP.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/2/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

If the unit is only 2 months old, you're likely going to just want to call warranty. Either the dishwasher isn't filling up with enough water or the circulation pump is going bad and not producing the pressure needed to wash properly. Make sure you have good water pressure going to the dishwasher and if that checks good, call warranty because it will require a part replacement to resolve the issue (either a pump, a water valve, or a control board) and you won't have to pay anything under warranty.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

I realize that its under warranty, but I live in New York and I have never had any luck with warranty repairs. I am an ASE certified auto tech and usually do all my own appliance repairs.I was trying to get an answer on troubleshooting this problem.

OK well I can help but I'm telling you it will be expensive because if you have water going to the dishwasher, every part is very expensive that can cause this problem so that I why I say you should call warranty. You'll need to first start a cycle want wait 5 minutes. Open the door and see if the floor is covered in a thin layer of water from side to side. If so, then you need a new circulation pump.

If not, then cancel the cycle and drain the water out. Start a new cycle and listen carefully to see if the dishwasher just fills initially until it starts washing. If it's switching between filling and draining, you need to replace the control board. If it's filling the entire time and doesn't cover the entire flow with water, your electronic water valve is restricting the flow and the valve needs to be replaced.

Those are the options and they ALL result in having to replace parts so why you would try to fix the issue without calling warranty is beyond any rational thought to me since parts at the very least cost money, and 2 of them are easily over $100

On my model, where is the circulator pump (part of motor assembly) ? because on parts list I only see drain pump. Also can the diverter motor be involved in this problem? Also I wanted to run a diagnostic cycle , but controls are on the top of door, what would be the procedure?

The circulation pump is below the tub. It's part 1 on the diagram in the link below. It's right next to the drain pump and about 3 times the size so you can't miss it. No the diverter can not be the problem.

CLICK HERE for diagram

To invoke the Diagnostics Cycle, perform the following while in standby:

■ Press any 3 keys in the sequence 1-2-3-1-2-3-1-2-3 with no more than 1 second between key presses.

■ The Service Diagnostics Cycle will start when the door is closed.

■ To rapid advance 1 interval at a time, press the START/RESUME key. Rapid advance may skip sensor checks as some checks require 2 complete intervals. NOTE: While you are in the Diagnostic Cycle, the Start/Resume feature is turned Off (for example, Auto Resume after door interrupts) and the Start/Resume key becomes an interval advance key.

■ Invoking Service Diagnostics Cycle clears all status and last run information from memory and restores defaults. It also forces the next cycle to be a sensor calibration cycle.

■ Drain and wash motors will pulsate on and off.

■ Last run cycles and options returned to default.

■ Last run Delay returns to the lowest delay increment.

■ Calibration cycle may force an extra rinse to occur prior to Final Rinse (to assure clear water), then calibrates the OWI and the fill amount during the final rinse.

■ A tone will play when “Service Error 1” is displayed.

■ Operating state returns to Standby upon completing or terminating the Service Diagnostics Cycle.

2 Turn on all LEDs immediately upon receiving the entry sequence (even if the door is open) for 5 seconds as a display test. Turn off all LEDs for 1 second prior to reporting customer error history.

3 Diverter will be on continuously in interval 14. In all other diverter intervals, diverter will be on only until it reaches the intended position for that interval.

4 Press HI TEMP key in this interval to clear customer error history.

5 Thermistor (temperature sensor) checks - turn clean LED on if thermistor is in its normal temperature range (32°F to 167°F [0°C to 75°C]). Turn sanitized LED on if fill temperature is above 85°F (29°C).

6 OWI (optical soil sensor) checks:

■ Check OWI sensor for the presence of water during the 5-second pause in interval 16, and turn on the Clean LED in interval 15, if water detected.

■ Check OWI sensor for presence of bulk soil during pause interval 13, and turn on the Clean LED in interval 12, if bulk soil detected.

■ Drain until OWI sensor sees the presence of air or a maximum of 1:52 during interval 5, and turn on the Clean LED in interval 4, if air detected.

7 DC Fan Motor is on during upper rack washing intervals.

8 Turn on Sanitized LED, in this interval, to indicate that the Salt Level Reed Switch is closed.

9 Turn on Clean LED, in this interval, to indicate that vent current is detected.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc