Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool 3 door refrigerator with freezer on the…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool 3...
I have a whirlpool 3 door refrigerator with freezer on the bottom. Model # ***** noticed yesterday the top of fridge was warm. I checked the coils underneath and they were pretty dirty. Cleaned them then removed back cover and cleaned the coils and vents back there. 24 hrs later there is little to no difference in the temperature. Still warm.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
3/1/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

So the issue you're describing means that you either have a defrost problem or the fan inside the freezer behind the back panel isn't running and needs to be replaced. The refrigerator cools by stealing air from the freezer which means that the air isn't circulating up to the refrigerator from the freezer since the freezer is working fine. Pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel. If the fan isn't running then replace it. If there is a lot of frost build up, then use a hair dryer to thaw it all out. You will then need to test continuity through the defrost heater and defrost thermostat. The defrost heater runs along the bottom of the silver coils and the defrost thermostat is the 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity, you need to replace it or it stops the unit from thawing on it's own.

To remove the back panel itself, just remove all the screws going into the back panel to start. There is a plastic vent directly in the middle toward the top of the back panel that you must unclip. There are 3 hidden clips you must pry on with a flat head screwdriver to release this vent panel and below is a picture where I drew an arrow to all the clip locations you need to pry on.

To the right of this vent is a little oval plastic cover which houses a temperature sensor. Slide a flat head screwdriver into the slit on the front of the cover and pry in the hole to release this cover and get the sensor out of the way. Now you can pull the back panel off.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.