Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

We have a maytay fridge (sorry I 't know the model, but it's

Customer Question

Hi! We have a maytay fridge (sorry I don't know the model, but it's pretty basic with the freezer on top, probably 5-6 years old) that has a couple of strange problems:
1. A couple of times per week the motor shuts off and the fridge/freezer are no longer cool/cold. We simply rotate the temprature dial to 1 (warmest), and then back to 5 (coldest) and the motor kicks back on and everything is fine...until it stops again a day or so later.
*note: two or three times, we've used the trick above and the motor hasn't turned back on, or it turns on for 1-10 seconds and stops again. When this happens, if we come back an hour or so later, the trick works.
2. The ice machine fails to work except for three times, unexpectedly, in the past 6 months. We haven't touched anything on it; we haven't been able to get it to work, and then three times we went to the freezer and found piles of ice.
Any ideas what could be causing these issues?
Thanks in advance!
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I suspect the thermostat is faulty, causing the intermittent cooling. As for the ice maker, it sounds like it could be a faulty control module, very common failure. The ice maker I can get you a link to without the model number but for the thermostat control I will need the model number. There are so many controls that I would never likely get even close without it.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,Thanks for the reply. I've attached the fridge info for specifics.Just to clarify: if the fridge seems to have no problem cooling, but simply fails to turn on without the temp control dial being turned (either slightly or fully), this is a thermostat issue?And, if occasionally the fridge turns on (by turning the dial) and rumbles to a stop within 10 seconds, and does this two or three times before getting a quiet, even start that stays on, this is also a thermostat issue?And if twice the fridge failed to respond to the turning of the dial and required a waiting period of roughly 30 minutes before it would respond to the dial, this is also a thermostat issue?Thanks,
Randi
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Excellent picture, thank you! The thermostat is most likely faulty, yes. If you have to adjust it to get it to cycle properly., the contacts inside are likely failing.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.