Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My KA compactor won't stop at the end of the cycle. I've…

Customer Question
Hi, My KA compactor won't stop...
My KA compactor won't stop at the end of the cycle. I've tested a few switches and they seem okay. What next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/29/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Ok are you saying that the ram comes back up and the unit starts to cycle and make a machine gun noise Tat,Tat ,Tat

Gets a little annoying. Yes!wont shut off.

ok You say you have replaced a few switches have you replaced the directional switch behind the console?

Hi. I replied to your email and just realized I was supposed to respond this way. Sorry. I'm not sure what you mean by "console." I'm an insurance broker by day, home "repairman" by night. Lol

the console is the panel with the knob and button and wording on it .

The directional switch is item #18

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagramenlarge/3/0/701700/113363

I had that switch checked and put in a new one without any improvement. That seemed to be the natural place to start but even with the adjustment to the "kill switch bar" and me trying to stop the machine by hand (after removing the top panel) I couldn't get the compactor to stop at the top.

ok that directional switch is the cut off contact for when the ram comes all the way up .

and you installed the new switch and wired it the same as the old switch?

It worked after installation (even insurance agents can do that. Haha). I thought that would correct the problem and was disappointed it wasn't the easy "fix." That's why I had to contact you. I read there are other possible switches but didn't want to start dismantling the machine without guideance first.

ok your last post is a bit confusing ! you said on the first sentence of the last post(Yes. It worked after installation (even insurance agents can do that. Haha)

so did it work or not ?

Sorry for the confusion. I was responding to your question about whether I wired it correctly. Yes, because the machine "worked." Unfortunately the same issue existed when I attempted to compress the garbage. Wouldn't stop at the top.

when the ram comes all the way up is the ram contacting the arm on the switch ?

When I tested the arm, the first click and then second click, the machine did not stop. I was told it should stop at the first "click."

that is correct the motor will no longer get voltage on the first click the motor is coming to a stop it will travel up just enough to make the second set of contacts to have the motor ready to start the next time the on /off switch is turned on and the start button is press.

So have you tested the push to start switch? to see if its contacts are just momentary closed?

No but I'm am willing and able. (I hope)

ok if the push to start switch is not opening when the ram get to the top and makes that second contact the unit will start right back up again .

Yep

ok so yep means that it makes a contact when pushed and breaks the contact when let go?

Yep means the contact is made (either the first or second click) and never stops.

ok were you testing the on /off switch or the directional switch?

We tested the switch with the cut off bar (#18) and the switch next to it labeled "solid pack and air filter."

ok but I sent you this earlier (that is correct the motor will no longer get voltage on the first click the motor is coming to a stop it will travel up just enough to make the second set of contacts to have the motor ready to start the next time the on /off switch is turned on and the start button is press.

So have you tested the push to start switch? to see if its contacts are just momentary closed?)

The push to start switch on the console is also part number #18

http://www.partadvantage.com/diagramenlarge/3/0/701705/113363

It's interesting because I was using the schematic from one of your first messages and didn't see the other portion of #18 until now. I know its hard to keep all this in context and I am not a repairman but I had both switches (of #18) tested and the man said they were fine. The machine does keep going instead of stopping as I have said, and if we open the door and turn it off, it stops. It's worth noting that it starts again when we turn it back on and close the door.Did I help you or am I misunderstanding your question? Please don't get frustrated with me bacuse I want to fix the machine and need your help.
Larry

ok if you have replaced the directional switch and the push to start switch or had the push to start switch looked at .

Then I recommend that you call in a service person to have a hands on diagnostics.

But that's why I used your service. I did all the basics and checked the switches.
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! I have a very strong suspicion that the start switch is welded closed. The number 18 switch is the solid pack switch, not the start switch. The start switch is the switch you turn with the key. That switch is shown as number 10 in the diagram at the link below. If you test it for continuity, it should only show closed when the key is turned all the way to the right in the momentary closed position. I suspect you are going to find it is closed all the time and the cause of your trouble.

CLICK HERE

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE

Hi Kelly,
I had that switch checked too and was told it was functioning. Any other ideas?

It can't be with the other switch being new. One of those has to be faulty.

It may have been tested incorrectly or failing under a load but one of them has to be bad.

Or, you have it miswired.

I agree the switches may need to be tested again. Can they be tested "under load" to expose the bad one? They were wired the same way I found them. I took pictures plus labeled the pins.

Remove one from the start switch once it starts and see if it then shuts off when it comes back up.

Can you be more specific?

Sure. There are two wires on the start switch. When the switch is turned to the right and held, the contact in the switch connects those two wires. So, if you start the compactor with the panel loose, you can remove one of those wires so contact cannot be made between the wires to test that switch while in the circuit.

Two questions.
1) Do I tape I've the switches to fool the machine that the door is closed?
2) is there Rick of electrical shock by pulling the wires off?

The door has to be closed, you only need access to the start switch. Yes, you will want to be careful not to touch the metal connector on the wire and if you doubt your ability or have any concerns, call in someone to fix it.

Only one wire needs to be pulled from the switch.

I will try it and let you know.

Roger that, thank you.

You are aware that only model the switches are on the inside of the door?

That is why you will need to loosen the panel and get the switch out of position so you can remove a wire. There should be enough wire to run the wires out the top of the panel so the door will close.

Correct. It should turn past the on to the right a bit to start for a momentary close.

I never understood that "feature." I'm in my office (in my house) and will try our test later. How long will you be there?

I should be on most of the day.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Your timing is perfect. Just this morning I (think) followed your instructions to test the on/off switch. Here's what I did: I had access to the back of the switch (two wires) and closed the door which set the compactor in motion. It went down okay the proceeded to come up and failed to stop at the top of the cycle. I pulled off one of the wires and the cycle ended. I repeated the experiment with the same results.
My concern (without doubting your expertise) is that I simply turned the machine off, proving nothing. We turn the switch off until we need acompressuon of the garbage then flip it on , run a cycle and turn it back off.
Is my concern unfounded? Am I doubting your experience. I WANT TO BE WRONG!
Lol. Give it to me straight.
If I replace that on/off switch, will all my problems go away. :)

That switch is faulty. It is in the closed position, keeping the machine in a constant start mode when the ram comes up to actuate the top limit switch. Replace the start switch and you should be good to go.

Just to be clear. I currently use it as an on/off switch and it does its job. I hate to be repetitive but after changing it out I don't want to bother you again. :)Where can I buy the switch cheap?

CLICK HERE

Thank you Kelly. I'll install the part next week and let you know. Have a great weekend.

Sounds good, thanks!

The part didn't correct the problem.

If the information you provided about it shutting off when a wire was pulled is accurate, it has to be that switch or the limit switch. You stated you replaced the limit switch. I think you will need to call for professional service at this point.

What can a tech tell me that you can't? I just don't want to spend the money after paying your company and buying the part.