Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a kitchen aid undercounter ice maker. I has not run…

Customer Question
I have a kitchen...

I have a kitchen aid undercounter ice maker. I has not run in about 3 years because the ice forming grid was no working. I started the repair the there day and after I found the part I wanted tp make sure there was nothing else wrong with it so I cleaned it all up and turned it on. It does not even make an ice sheet anymore. It self cleans cycles, then I let it run.

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?

The compressor comes on and condenser fan runs, but the plate does not get cold

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/29/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

So to be clear, at this point does the icemaker fill with water? Does water ever flow over the chill plate?

the reservoir fills after the clean cycle and the pump starts water over the freeze plate.
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the compressor runs and the plate is not getti8ng cold at all, then the refrigerant has leaked from the sealed system. This is not an easy repair and will require specialized tools and equipment as well as advanced training. To have it professionally repaired, you can expect a cost of about $250-300 + parts. If less than 5 years old, it may be under warranty still. If you post the model and serial number I can check that for you.

I was afraid of this. I do not see a port where freon levels can be checked or recharged. I am then facing the prospect of having to change the melt strips or possibly the controller once I get this issue fixed. The model number is *****
Initially it would make a slab of ice and dump it onto a grid of wires. Then it would just sit there. I assumed the mechanism by which the wires got hot and melted the slab into cubes was not working. I am sure it is older than 5 years.

If more than 5 years, it will not be covered. If it sat for 3 years, there is probably a leak in the evaporator. The only way to tell is to solder valves on and see what the pressures do. It is a sealed system issue so it will not be an easy, inexpensive fix, in any case.

OK, Thank you. I am satisfied with that answer. It basically confirms that I suspected. Given its age, I believe I would be better served with a new one. Thanks again

I would agree. Thank you.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!