Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a kitchen aid undercounter ice maker. I has not run

Customer Question

Hello
JA: Hi. What do you want help with?
Customer: I have a kitchen aid undercounter ice maker. I has not run in about 3 years because the ice forming grid was no working. I started the repair the there day and after I found the part I wanted tp make sure there was nothing else wrong with it so I cleaned it all up and turned it on. It does not even make an ice sheet anymore. It self cleans cycles, then I let it run.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?
Customer: The compressor comes on and condenser fan runs, but the plate does not get cold
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Appliance Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 year ago.

So to be clear, at this point does the icemaker fill with water? Does water ever flow over the chill plate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the reservoir fills after the clean cycle and the pump starts water over the freeze plate.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the compressor runs and the plate is not getti8ng cold at all, then the refrigerant has leaked from the sealed system. This is not an easy repair and will require specialized tools and equipment as well as advanced training. To have it professionally repaired, you can expect a cost of about $250-300 + parts. If less than 5 years old, it may be under warranty still. If you post the model and serial number I can check that for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was afraid of this. I do not see a port where freon levels can be checked or recharged. I am then facing the prospect of having to change the melt strips or possibly the controller once I get this issue fixed. The model number is *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially it would make a slab of ice and dump it onto a grid of wires. Then it would just sit there. I assumed the mechanism by which the wires got hot and melted the slab into cubes was not working. I am sure it is older than 5 years.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

If more than 5 years, it will not be covered. If it sat for 3 years, there is probably a leak in the evaporator. The only way to tell is to solder valves on and see what the pressures do. It is a sealed system issue so it will not be an easy, inexpensive fix, in any case.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, Thank you. I am satisfied with that answer. It basically confirms that I suspected. Given its age, I believe I would be better served with a new one. Thanks again
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

I would agree. Thank you.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!