Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My top loading maytag washer will not spin

Customer Question
my top loading maytag washer will not spin
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/29/2016
Appliance Technician: Sean F., Customer Service replied 2 years ago
Sean F.
Sean F., Customer Service

Thanks for using Just Answers. My name is***** come from a family background of appliance service and have over 20 yrs in the field. If you have been waiting, sorry, don't get discouraged. I am one of the techs on Just Answers and might have someone ahead of you. I WILL work as fast I can to analyze your problem and get to you. Please understand that I am not at your home looking at the appliance myself. You are my eyes & ears! I will work with you to figure out what is wrong with your appliance. I will give you my honest professional opinion of the problem. But be advised there are some issues that require special tools to analyze or repair the problem. Thank you for excepting me for you appliance issue. I'll be right with you and please don't forget to rate my service at completion.

Please give a few mins to look up your washer info.

great, thanks!

I am sorry but I have to leave and go get my kids. And don't want to have you waiting on me to help. It won't take long and if I see your still needing help I will pick back up. Again I am sorry

Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Can you tell is it is washing? The reason I ask is there is only one belt on this washer and sometimes the problem is the pulley comes loose on the bottom and it won't spin or agitate.

Sorry for the delay. It is agitating fine.
it can't be the pulley, right?

Okay, thanks. The washer has diagnostics and will tell us what is wrong. Here is the text information but the video link will be even better to show you what to do. Let me know what you find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJYm66Kl7M4 (Diagnostic video)

ACTIVATING THE SERVICE DIAGNOSTIC TEST MODES

1. Be sure the washer is in standby mode (plugged in with all indicators off).

2. Perform the following sequence of movement using the cycle selector knob.

NOTE: AFTER RESET, sequence “a” through “e” must be completed within 6 seconds.

RESET - Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one or more clicks to clear sequence.

a. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

b. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

c. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click and wait ½ second.

d. Rotate cycle selector knob counterclockwise one click and wait ½ second.

e. Rotate cycle selector knob clockwise one click.

 Successful activation of Diagnostic Test Modes will be indicated by all status LEDs (except for Lid Locked) flashing ON and OFF in half-second intervals.

NOTE: LED names may vary between makes and models.

When all LEDs are flashing, turn the knob until the “Done” light comes on.

Press the start button.

Turn the knob clockwise one click and observe if any LEDs flash in sequence.

If the Sensing, Prewash, and/or Soak LEDs are ON, the Fault Number is *****; if OFF, the Error Number is ***** The remaining LEDs (Wash, Rinse, Spin, and Done) represent the fault and error code in binary.

The code is read by reading what LEDs are on with the Sensing LED, (This is the fault) and then what LEDs are on when it goes out, (This is the error).

Watch the alternating codes and let me know what lights, if any are on when the Sensing LED is on and then what lights come on when it goes off.

After you read the first code if you turn the knob one click at a time clockwise it will display the next code if any are present.

Sorry we are really slow but here is what we got. sensing and spin flashed together and then done flashed and the sequence repeated.

Ok, let me look that up.

That is a F2E1 which is a stuck button. Were there any other codes because that doesn't match well with the no spin complaint.

we are going to try it again. be right back.

Ok

We got the same codes again.

Okay, I thought the code would be the shifter or something that made sense for a spin problem. This could be the control but diagnostics has not proven that. I will opt out to see if another expert has a better idea. It may be tomorrow if no one is available. Best wishes.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech can you get it into diagnostic mode?

Yea
I meant yes I can.

Ok once you get it into service mode and all the lights are flashing I want you to turn it so SPIN and DONE only are lit....PRESS start, then Press start again and the LID should lock......then turn the dial forward so Wash and Spin are lit and press Start does it spin? Give it about 30 secs to start

It is spinning but we don't hear any water draining through the hose.
We opened it and the load is spun out.

OK press Start again and it will stop spinning you have to wait until the tub totally stops, then turn the dial until the last 3 RIGHT lights are all lit in a row....press start and the drain pump should run does it?

The spin, done, and lid locked lights right?
Those three are lit and nothing is happening.

OK when you press start nothing happens and do the lights start flashing?

when rinse, spin and done and lid locked are lit it starts draining.

Yes the three greens and the red lid lock correct the lid lock does not count as part of the lit one sorry. So both spin and drain work, so you may just need to calibrate the unit and try it and if it fails to spin again...I would highly suggest replaced the actuator and the capacitor on the unit by the motor. Those two are famous for causing issues and both have been upgraded.

Now to calibrate...turn the dial until only the lid lock is lit press start the lid lock should unlock then unplug the machine for 20 secs...plug it back in get it back into diagnostic mode and turn the dial until only RINSE is lit and press start let it go through until the lid unlocks and try it, it should work if it completes the calibration.

I would like you to know that I am a tech that works for the site, the payment you made to the site is not fully credited, further the only way I actually receive any payment for my time by the site is by you selecting a STAR using the 5 STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

We re-calibrated the machine to no avail. I ordered a shift actuator. But what I don't understand is why the machine is capable of spinning and draining when in diagnostic mode but when I run a whole cycle (on any setting) it does not spin out. The cycle ends and the clothes are sopping wet. Doesn't that sound like a problem with the "brains" of the washer, and would the actuator heal this?

Put it back in diagnostic mode and turn the dial until DONE only is lit and press START what lights flash there is a pattern.

Sorry for the delay. All five lights flash two times, pause, two times, pause,...

OK when they are all flashing turn the dial 1 CLICK and tell me which are flashing

Sensing, rinse, spin, and done flash and then done flashes alone

Yep that is a basket actuator sensor fault, replace part #W10006355 and it should be good to go again....also I would advise changing the capacitor...the board will be fine.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician