Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My kenmore elite dryer gives a CE light after running about…

Customer Question
My kenmore elite dryer...

My kenmore elite dryer gives a CE light after running for only about 30 seconds.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have read lots of people with this concern and there does appear to be a fix. Whatever controls the CE function seams to have broken is there a way to over ride that control?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
The exhaust vent is clear, rather no longer even attached. The dryer was working fine for more then a week with out being attached to the exhaust vent. I moved the dryer forward and installed the dryer to the house exhaust vent and it ran only one load before giving the CE code. I found the exhaust tubing under the house was obstructed(crushed), I installed a new vent tube and tried the dryer again. Still will not work, I removed the dryer from the vent and it still will not work. Clearly the exhaust is not clogged, it's not attached. It seems as though either moving the dryer jarred something loose inside or it needs some kind of reset. I have tried to reset by killing the power with no success. Please help me fix this hunk of metal.
2/26/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

It sounds like you have definitely determined the vent through your house is not a problem which is great because that's the first thing to check. But that crushed vent could have caused back up inside the dryer. You'll need to take the dryer apart and make sure the vents inside the dryer are not blocked especially the area under the lint filter. If that all checks good, then you either have a bad control board or you have a bad thermistor sensor which is what checks the temperature of the dryer and gives a signal to the board to tell you if there is a clogged vent. If you have a multimeter you can remove the thermistor and test resistance and it should be about 10,000 ohms at room temperature if it's good. If not, then replace it. If it checks good, then replace your main control board. To look up any parts, you'll need the full model number which is located on a sticker just inside the door way.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler,
I tested the thermistor and it came back just under 5k ohms, so I got excited and ordered another one. However I tested the new one before installing it and it reads just under 5 k ohms also. I think the resistance on this thermistor is suppose to be at 5k. The part itself says 5k on it, that can't be a coincidence right? Very confused now what should I do? Just to be sure I did install the new thermistor and as I suspected no success.

Yeah, it sounds like your thermistor is working correctly. Possibly you have a newer model with a different thermistor. Either way, if the vent isn't clogged and the thermistor checks good, your control board is just bad and unfortunately the control board would need to be replaced. The only other option would be the wires between the board and thermistor if you wanted to trace them back between the board and thermistor to make sure they aren't damaged.

I will try the control board next and get back to you. Thanks

ok good luck again.

Tyler,Bad news. I installed the new control board and the same issue. There is another part that looks like a control board of some type that is inside the housing above the drum. Do you know what this part is? and should I try replacing it also?

I'm not sure what else could cause this problem so I'm going to opt out and if someone else has an idea they will reply.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset. I am APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please allow time for me to respond, sometimes I get the questions or responses late so please be patient as I have no control over the site issues. NOTE, I have nothing to do with your payment to the site and did not receive that money. The only way to credit me(APPLIANCE-HVAC GURU) is to make sure you are rating my post not another techs when finished...Thank You!

Can you get me the complete model number off the unit?

417.81100000

Ok do this

Press and hold the “cancel” and “start pause” buttons simultaneously for 6 seconds to show the last error code recorded. The error code will appear in the display as an E followed by two numbers. NOTE: E00 means no failure code experienced. Let me know what code comes up/

My dryer has two buttons and a knob, start/pause and power I held both and nothing happened.

The CE code is a communication code between the user interface and control board. Normally when you get this code there is an issue with the control board on the unit. The interface boards do go bad as well but the board is more common, basically they are not communicating as there is a primary hardware failure on one of them. There is no 100% test to do, to determine which one so I would order the parts from Repairclinic.com as you have a 1 year full return policy if any issues on any part installed or not. The main control is part #809160310 and the interface is part #137237100, if you have noticed an issue with the knob or buttons not working all the time then I would lean towards a bad interface.

The only way I receive any credit at all for my time is by you selecting a STAR using the 5 STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave for me so please make sure you are rating me not another tech. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks GURU

I see this question is still open on my list, if you did not need anything else all I ask is please use the STAR rating system at the top of your page to rate my service so I can close this out... Thanks