Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Trying to repair dishwasher whirlpool gold model:GU980SCGB2…

Customer Question
Trying to repair dishwasher whirlpool...
Trying to repair dishwasher whirlpool gold model:GU980SCGB2
PIECE OF A COFFEE cup got jambed in bottom near impeller.
I removed the cover to pump (8 torx screws). next there is a black rubber plastic round impeller piece that has a hex shape to be able to secure with a adjustable wrench to keep from moving while loosing center screw (1/4 socket) I could not loosen this screw while keeping impeller piece from moving with the adjustable wrench. I chewed up the plsatic piece real good, but i still need to remove it to get at the four screws that will allow me to remove the cover and get at and remove the piece of coffee cup. this causes a crunching noise when pump runs with dishwasher.
How do I now remove the screw that secures this plastic piece?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/26/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

So unfortunately at this point you'll need to chisel off the round black impeller so that all you see is the center motor shaft and the screw. Then you can grab the center shaft with vice grips and use a socket wrench on the screw. Unfortunately this somewhat commonly occurs since the screw gets so seized up over time due to hard water so I've probably had to do this half a dozen times myself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?

thanks tyler..i will try to chisel the impeller

No problem. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know.

Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech and have rebuilt many of these, often that bolt can get really stuck and may even shear off, if it does that you will be buying a new motor assembly. Before trying to chisel the impeller off which will only destroy more and you can damage the housing if you slip and still typically will not get you the result you need, you should get a large channel locks and grab the impeller with it and then use a socket and ratchet and you should be able to get the bolt free, if it shears off that sometimes happens and then you basically would either have to drill and tap it tor get a new pump as that screw sets the seal and impeller as well.

I would like you to know that I am a tech that works for the site, the payment you made to the site is not fully credited to me, further the only way I actually receive any payment for my time by the site is by you selecting a STAR using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician