Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a whirlpool duet dryer. The heat stays on HOT at any…

Customer Question
I have a whirlpool duet...
I have a whirlpool duet dryer. The heat stays on HOT at any time the dryer is running...even when the AIR ONLY selection of heat is asked for on the Temperature Selection..(Manual Cycles Only) control...
The "Heat will not shut off" in the Tech Sheet with the machine indicates to check the ohms between the P2-5 red/white stripe wire and the black wire..terminals 5 and 6. mentions 6 to 7 ohms replace control electronics. Over 7 replace thermistor.. When I check between these two wires I get no ohms...open circuit..checked with two volt ohm meters. Any suggestions...... james
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/24/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

If the heater turns on even when on air only, either your relay on the main relay control board is stuck, or the heating element is grounded out. You'll need to unplug the dryer and disconnect the 2 wires going to the heating element below the drum. Test continuity/resistance between one of the terminals coming from the heating element itself to the outer case of the element. If you have any continuity/resistance, then you need to replace the heating element. If you do not have continuity, you need to replace the main relay control board which is mounted to the left side wall of the dryer just below the top panel of the dryer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open. Is there anything else I can help you with?