Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Samsung washer: WF7708N6W1 won't turn on. There's no

Customer Question
power at all. I can...
My Samsung washer: WF7708N6W1 won't turn on. There's no power at all. I can also smell some electrical burning and I hear a clicking noise when I first turn power on at the power point. Still no lights or power at the machine though.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/24/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! There are two things that may be causing the power not to come on. There is a filter board right where the power comes into the machine that may be faulty. Or, the main machine control may be faulty. Do you have a meter to perform any testing with? We need to test to see if there is power coming out of that filter board.

I will purchase a multimeter today, but I have never used one before. Are you able to guide me through the process of testing the power?thx, Jon

Sure, just post the model number of the meter you get and we can walk through testing together!

Great. Thanks Kelly. Can you recommend a model for me? I see a few cheap automotive ones here: http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online-store/products/SCA-Palm-Size-Digital-Multimeter.aspx?pid=156453&menuFrom=40308#Recommendations
Would this do the job?

Sure, that one will read AC voltage, that is all we need.

If you can post a picture once the top has been removed of the area by where the power cord comes in, I can mark the picture for you.,

Y0040 in the picture at the diagram at the link below is the filter I speak of. We just need to see if the voltage is getting through that to the main control. If it is, then the main control PCB is faulty.

CLICK HERE

Great! Meter to be set on the red 750V setting, just clockwise from the off position. The brown and blue wires from the cord are the line voltage and neutral. When you touch the leads (one to brown, one to blue), you should read line voltage, about 230 VAC. I can't see the colors coming out of the filter to the control, they appear to be black and white, is that correct?

Ok so I'm guessing I should turn the power on at the main power point to test? Simply touching the wires with multimeter will that give me a reading even though I'm not touching metal (just the plastic outer part)?coming out of the filter is 6 wires... Red white and blue going to the water inlet control and black,blue and white going to main pcb...

The red white and blue don't come out of the filter. The filter wires are on the bottom. The brown and blue from the cord are attached and then I can't see the others but they will be the output to the PCB. So the brown and black to the PCB should show line voltage as well as the brown and blue from the cord. You will need to touch the metal connectors in the plastic insulators to read the voltage.

Hi Kelly, OK. All tested.... so there is power coming into the filter. I also tested the outputs on the filter (the two metal connectors that plug into the wires going to the PCB) and there was power coming out. Should I check anywhere else down the toward the PCB, or is it definitely a faulty PCB ?

If you have verified power to the PCB, the PCB is faulty and will need to be replaced.

Hello, I was just checking in with you because I have not heard back from you. If you have no other questions, positive feedback would be appreciated.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!