Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I know why I should not use a ground fault receptical

Customer Question
for a freezer, but would...
I know why I should not use a ground fault receptical for a freezer, but would a ground fault receptical actually damage a freezer? My new freezer was plugged into a ground fault when it tripped. But now the freezer trips the breaker on any circuit, GFI protected or not
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/23/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

That depends upon your definition of damage the freezer .

Damage it so it could not operate ,if the GFCI trips the unit will not cool ,and if that goes unnoticed it will make the unit stink to high heaven with the spoiled food smell.

But the GFCI out let will NOT damage the electrical components of the unit.

If it is tripping a non GFCI outlet it sounds as if you either have a failed compressor pulling too many amps or something is shorted to ground.

Do you have a clamp on amperage meter to read the amp draw of the unit?

The freezer trips both GFCI and non GFIC outlets. After it tripped the first time, the freezer never worked again. Frigidaire says the use of a GFCI voids the warranty.

And it does say in most manufacturers use and care booklets NOT to use a Freezer or Refrigerator on a GFCI outlet .because when the compressor starts it can trip the GFCI outlet.

Even the defrost circuit can trip a GFCI outlet.

No meter. I understand that the freezer could trip the GFCI; what I do not understand is why it should void a warranty on the machine, if the GFIC can do the machine no damage

I see no way it can damage the unit just because it is on a GFCI ,if the outlet trips then it can damage the unit.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

If you need me again for any other issues you can request me Whrlp Master Tech.

And Even after you rate me Today if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you, no extra charges .
But rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time.