Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Troubleshoot buzzing sound from kitchenmaid kbfc42fss

Customer Question
refrigerator...
troubleshoot buzzing sound from kitchenmaid kbfc42fss refrigerator
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/22/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

Hello from JA
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 35 Years,
and have over 100,000 in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.

Can I please have the Full model number of the unit to better assist you ?
open the freezer door on the interior wall will be the FULL model number .

And where is the noise coming from ? top ,bottom ,fresh food section ,freezer section.

model no KBFC42FSS 00 (this is inside the frig. I don't see any number inside the freezer.
ser no QT3054003
Note that you consulted with me in July 2015 on this frig

And where is the noise coming from ?

the noise appears to come from freezer compartment. It is louder inside the freezer I think. I removed the condenser tray at bottom and that had no effect, so it is not a rattle of that tray. I'm pretty sure it is the same buzzing we had before.

Ok I have no way of going back Like 8 months to see the conversation from back then.

About the only thing in the freezer that could make the noise is the icemaker of the Evaporator fan motor behind the rear interior wall.

when we last talked was if for this same reason?

And if so what did you have to do to get the noise to stop then ?

you advised to replace the control card. I did that. bought the card from the outfit in Austin. That solved the problem then. You also suspected ice build up could be hitting the fan blade. The frig was off for over a week back in July so it defrosted and got a new card. I defrosted the frig last week for over 24 hrs and when it came on the noise seemed gone for a few hours or a day or two, but the noise is back. The noise is intermittent, so I think it occurs when the compressor or fan is running. What is different I think this time is the noise is not just constant but oscillates louder and softer over several seconds period.
The ice maker is in the freezer. no ice dispenser in the door. just fyi.Back in July 2015 I did pull all he drawers out of the freezer before to look at the plastic white fan blade, but nothing seemed the matter with it. And when I started it back up after replacing the control card the noise went away, so I think the fan was ok.
If I record the noise on my phone, can I text you or email you the file?

Ok when you say control card !

I`m suspecting you mean the control board.

And the compressor is up on top of the unit .

I still suspect that it is ice hitting the fan blade , if you open the freezer door you should be able to see if you have any frost or ice on the rear interior freezer panel

You have to record the noise and put it on youtube and then give me the address to it.

I can also call you if you would like .I can send you am additional service offer !

One thing I thought to do was to pull the frig from the wall to look at the back side. Is there anything I can do from there? A common suggestion is to vacuum lint and dog hair from around the compressor. I did vacuum and clean everything in the compartment above the frig where the compressor is.
The last time a technician came here he told my wife, "The next time you get a tech out here tell them to bring two techs so they can pull the frig away from the wall and clean out behind it." that was a couple years ago.
I just defrosted the frig last week. I don't see how ice built up since then. There is no visible ice anywhere in the freezer

no pulling the unit out will not help you at all .

no way to get to anything from the rear of the unit!

If the noise is in the freezer doing any work up top will not help at all

And nothing in behind the unit will make noise in the freezer.

And the noise is from inside the freezer area correct? top ,bottom center

Of course the noise has stopped for now. I've been trying to listen to it. I could hear it from the fridge and freezer just momentarily before the noise stopped. I've removed the panel at the top now so I can hear it more clearly. I'll have to wait for the noise to start back up.

ok no problem !

I see you have not rated me as of yet!

I`m trying to get my questions caught up for the end of the month
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

You can listen to the fridge noise in these two videos on youtube... https://youtu.be/XfUfEchkMCA and https://youtu.be/z4ZiKveQAc0. From the first you can see/hear that the sound doesn't appear to come from inside the freezer or fridge, but from below. Sound at top isn't loud, either. The second video was recorded when the sound was much louder. It was recorded with lights out (movie sound running in background) so it is blacked out. When I last communicated with you I rushed to get a recording of the sound, but literally the sound stopped just as I got my phone out to record it and it didn't make a sound again for over a month. It started making noise again and I managed to get a recording of it. Mostly the frig is quiet, but every now and then it starts up the buzzing noise you hear in the videos. The noise is frequent again now. Also, water is draining out on the floor. It never used to. Can't seem to link the water to the noise. Maybe there is a link. what can you say?
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello I am a different tech and was notified Whirpool Mastertech will not be available for a bit.

That sounds like the freezer fan is vibrating on the housing causing that pulsating noise I could hear the pattern when you opened the freezer door. Can you get to the fan?