Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My 20-year old Sears Kenmore Cold Spot refrigerator died…

Customer Question
My 20-year old Sears Kenmore...
My 20-year old Sears Kenmore Cold Spot refrigerator died while I was on vacation. For some time now it had been making a rattling/clacking/vibrating noise whenever the motor/compressor cycled off, but functioned properly otherwise. Its a 21 Cu Ft fridge with ice maker that works. It doesn't appear that the back is removable, so I can't see the motor or compressor. There appears to be a fan assembly in the freezer section. What needs to be repaired, the compressor, the motor, or what? The light comes on when the fridge is plugged in, and there is no electrical smell of burned out components.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/22/2016
Appliance Technician: Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician replied 2 years ago
Master Tech
Master Tech, Whirlpool Master Technician

The rear lower inspection cover is removable!

And the noise it sounds like your were hearing is the compressors internal mounting had broke loose.

Can you hear the unit doing any humming or clicking from the rear every so often?

With it being the compressor broken loose internally with the unit being the age that it is .

I would not recommend repairing it a new compressor ,drier and refrigerant and labor will run you well over $500.

Replacing the compressor is a Repair that would require a EPA certified refrigerant service person.

Do you still need assistance on your question?

If not I see you have not rated me as of yet!
Even after you rate me if you have a question just reply back to me,
I will still assist you ,but rating me is the ONLY way I get paid for my time

I see you have not rated me as of yet!

I`m trying to get my questions caught up for the end of the month

This is NOT a free web site .