Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a GE GTS22WCMARWW that I just replaced the main board…

Customer Question
I have a GE...

I have a GE GTS22WCMARWW that I just replaced the main board on and the frige won't start. (that was the original prob) main board had a fried resistor.

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Unit stopped running all together, lights are still on but nothing else is working.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Email and password ***** out of date, had to update both. What a hassle!
Where were we?
2/22/2016
Appliance Technician: Chas, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

What part number did you replace?

Had to go dig it up, frige is at work, I am at home. WR55X10942, and it is an exact replacement number.
Top freezer unit, ice maker is NOT being used

Did you use a new or used board for the replacement

Brand new

So it is doing exactly the same thing as the old board, correct?

I checked the black wire on the base schematic and there is NO output from the main board to the compressor.
Over load and relay checks good, start cap is rated at 12 mfds and is good.

give me a minute to check something please.

there are two thermisters in this unit and an environmental control board in the fresh food compartment. Not much of anything else to go wrong. I suspect that a thermister in the freezer has broken the start circuit for the compressor and fans.

Did you board come with instructions about possibly having to cut a wire out of the harness depending ont he serial number of the unit?

but it did not apply to my serial number of SA303358

Okay, Wanted to make sure on that one. Also the fan motor is not running inisde the freezer compartment, right?

nothing is running, just lights

And you double checked your connections on istallation of the new baord?

pretty elementary. Plugs can't get in the wrong location.

I know it is pretty straight forward, but I seen it happen, I had one yesterday that did not hook up all the plugs, because they did not think they were necessary. I have to admit I am stumped on this one, I am going to open your question to other experts and see if they have an answer for this problem.

All of the plugs are in place, each one has a different pin count so it would kinda obvious if they out of place.
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

I am a different tech, Chas has left does the touchpad respond?

Can you answer my question as to why this unit won't work?
There is NO touch Pad on this unit. It is a basic top freezer unit with an icemaker.
Model GTS22WCMARWW, please check the schematic

Ok in the diagram it made it look like that one did but yes I see it just uses the encoder only, do all the lights work and any fans run?

As I said in the above input, the only thing that is working is the lights in the fridge and freezer.

If the last one did the same thing as this one, I would replace the encoder nothing much else could cause it not to go on at all unless you have a broken wire connection from the encoder to the board. Also which resistor was fried on the old board?

The encoder being what? Is that the control board mounted up under the evaporator in the front of the fresh food compartment?
I have already removed it as I suspected it. Could one of the two thermisters be open and cause a non start?

The thermisters can not cause a non start, but the encoder can which is the control board where you set the temperature

OK, just ordered another one WR55X10625. It'll be here in three days You'll be the first to know if it works or.......?
I can't identify the resistors so as to dial in on the section of control on the main board. There were two Large Pea green
resistors side by side with several colors and two gold bands on them.

OK that is a fan resistor, have you checked the freezer evaporator fan?

Just replaced it two months ago, I believe that they are 12VDC....?

Yes they are and the green resistors are the ones for the evaporator fan, but if it is just dead either you received a bad new main board or the encoder board is bad.

I am just a tech and payment for our work is on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks