Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

I can spin the drum with little effort and it makes no noise

Customer Question

I can spin the drum with little effort and it makes no noise and spins free. When I spin the drum it continues to spin easily.
Can there be any other reason such as a sensor or something that causes it to stop the wash cycle and show OL or overload?
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

yes there is that error is commonly caused by friction due to corrosion on the shaft and it does not let the tub float correctly to engage in spin. You have to pull the tub out and sand and clean the shaft, sometimes they are so far gone that cleaning will not help and the shaft and tub bearing have to be replaced.

Here is a video that will show you how to remove the tub to get to the shaft so that you can try and clean it up.

click here for video

It also shows the complete shaft and bearing replacement if needed.

We are on the honor system for our time so I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page.

This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When this happens and I go ahead and put the machine on the drain and spin cycle it will go through the cycle normaly without any odd noises or anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot feel or hear any friction when spinning the drum by hand.

ya the tub is sticking sometimes and sometimes not, it gets hung up when it tries to float to engage spin at certain times, it will only get worse unless you sand the shaft down

not having any noise just means the spin bearing is still good, so you should be fine after cleaning the shaft