Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

We have an older KitchenAid Superba. Aside from some issues…

Customer Question
We have an older KitchenAid...
We have an older KitchenAid Superba. Aside from some issues 3 years ago which I fixed it's been a good unit. However for the past few weeks I've noticed it hasn't been cleaning well at all, and I end up hand washing most dishes after it runs. Smodges remain on glassess. Soup gets caked onto bowl's, and particles of dish power remains visible on black dishes. I suspected a shard of glass was interfearing with operation after breaking a small bowl, but after taking apart the filters in the bottom I found nothing. Further, I checked the wash arms and found no clogging, but to be sure I ran it with CLR. Also it does seem to sound alittle different when it runs, almost graining if I had to descibe.
It is over 10 years old now so I wonder if it's time for a new one, but if there's a quick easy fix I'd rather save it since it's been good. Any idea's?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/21/2016
Appliance Technician: Rick, Repair Guy replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Repair Guy

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today. I sounds as though you are right on track, I would disassemble the lower sump area again as far as possible, I think you are going to find some more glass and calcium build up. I would remove any debris, and then I would go to home depot or lowes and buy some affresh for dishwashers. This is a citric acid cleaner that is totally safe your unit and yourself. After that switch your dishwasher soap to Finish Tablets. This should be enough to get your dishwasher working like the old.

Ok thanks. I'll try and get back to you.

Yes please let me know

I took the entire sump unit out. Nothing obvious popped out at me, altho I found a piece of glass, slightly smaller than a BB on the ground. I assume it came out of the drain pump housing after I disconnected the hose. Otherwise there was alot of debris on the circulation (chopper/maserator) screen. While washing the screen my wife commented that there was alot of synthetic lint and we didn't know why, but since we found nothing else obvious figured this maybe the reason for poor circulation/washing. I took absolutely everything apart, aside from debris nothing obvious.When I started reassembling I got suspicious of the connection between the circulating pump impeller and the chopper/maserator, so removed the pump again to test. It seemed to me that the teeth which make this spring loaded connection where completely worn off hence the chopper wouldn't spin, so the screen would clog meaning there was no or poor circulation. Maybe the glass held the blade causing this to strip, not sure.In the mean time I've ordered a new chopper unit and impeller unit. When they arrive this week I reassemble & hope for the best.Maybe it would have been easier if you just told me to dump it and buy new 😝

From everything you wrote, it sounds like you are heading in the correct direction. You are right I could have said replace, but then you would have had to spend alot more money.. Please let me know how the unit works after you replace the chopper. I would still do a citric acid clean though.

after a week waiting for parts I finally got them. Attempted to thread the new impeller onto the circulation pump & low & behold it has a different threading size. After some back & fourth it was discovered that Whirlpool no longer supports this threading (altho the rest is identical), and I would need to purchase a new circulation pump assembly to complete the fix. Long story short, this dishwasher went to the curb this morning due to a $30 part which is no longer available :-(
John, Home Appliance Technician