Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool Quiet Partner II lights are flashing on Normal and…

Customer Question
Whirlpool Quiet Partner II...

Whirlpool Quiet Partner II lights are flashing on Normal and Cancel/Drain

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Can't seem to unlock and get operational, just had electrician put a NEW motherboard in, and worked fine for 2 cycles, now back to same issue as to "before" he put in new motherboard. Intermittent flashing of the Normal and Cancel/Drain lights. Unplugged overnight, no luck. Tried the Sani Rinse Heated Dry pressing each one for two rounds, closed door, waited 10 seconds hit Cancel button, still locked?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
Order # *****
2/20/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Do you have the model number? With the door locked you won't be able to get it off the appliance. Without the model number I won't know the specifics of the model.

Let me go look
DU1055XTVSA
Just following up to be sure you received model Number that you asked for...

Yes, thanks. We can try to enter diagnostics to see if we can reset and then test the touchpad if tthis does not work. Use the start/resume key to go to the end of diagnostics if this works.

NOTE 1. To invoke the Diagnostics Cycle, perform the following key presses or actions in less than 6 sec while in standby: Heated Dry ⇒ Normal ⇒ Heated Dry ⇒ Normal ! To rapid advance one interval at a time, press the Start/Resume key

Have tried this series before, doesn't seem to work but will go try again...

If this doesn't work we will test the touchpad.

Didn't work, both NORMAL and CANCEL are repeated flashing

Ok, just a sec.

Door is OPEN for these entries, correct?

Model with buttons in the front you have the door closed.

Can you get into the control panel and disconnect the ribbon cable to the touchpad. Turn off the power first.

Model 16054203-413
Buttons from Left to Right
Pots/Pans / NORMAL / Light Rinse / Only / Soak & Scour / High Temp Wash / Sani Rinse / Heated Dry / Start / Stop

Lets do the keypad test first. Can you get into the control area?

I can do that, saw this as another possible solution before contacting you folks with the ribbon, disconnecting, and or seeing if there's a connection break? Add rubbing alcohol, was hoping you had some magic code that would remedy this as this is a brand new connection, and worked for 2 cycles.When you say the "control area" what are you referring?

What I am having you do will test the control and the touchpad to see which one is the problem. The control is in the top of the door behind the touchpad area. That is where you need to be to disconnect the ribbon.

Okay let me get my drill and disassemble...thanks.

Okay, let me know when the ribbon cable is off.

Not sure at what point to remove ribbon cable

P1 on the control. There should be a print labeled P1 on the circuit board.

The circuit board is set in place, trying to figure out how to take out guessing this P1 you speak of is "under" the Circuit board...

Yes, it is between the control and the buttons. After you disconnect it, put it together enough so the control stays in place because we will need to turn on the power and close the door. Let me know before you turn on the power.

Okay, my trouble is disengaging the circuit board from the housing, don't want to break plastic things holding in place...
I disengaged circuit board from housing, but in no way see how ribbon can be removed, seems permanent at both ends from machine to panel?

Most have a plastic lock where it is pushed into the control and all you do is pull it away gently an 1/8" or so and that releases the ribbon.

Ok I removed Ribbon and should I then plug the ribbon back in?
Or leave it off?
Ready for next step

Yes, leave it off. Here is what you need to do now. Do not close the dishwasher door. Turn the breaker back on to the dishwasher. Wait 5 sec. Close dishwasher door and listen for the drain pump to come on. Let me know what happens.

All I heard was a "click" in the control panel.
Though I closed the door, the latch assembly is lying "not on" the housing to engage true closure of the door

That is bad. If the control was good it would have turned on the drain pump for two minutes. Since it did not it means the problem is the main control. If you aren't sure you had the steps and timing right you could turn the power off for a minute and try again.

Turn the breaker back on to the dishwasher while the door is still open. Wait 5 sec. Close dishwasher door and listen for the drain pump to come on.

I didn't turn off breaker, I had door open, plugged in unit to power, waited 5 seconds, closed dishwasher door, and heard nothing..

Okay, that is the right way. You need the main control. Do you need the part number?

Again Dave, this is a Brand New Panel that was just installed last week, worked for 2 full cycles and then we're at this point again.

You replaced the touch panel, not the main control. Is that correct? You replaced the plastic top of the door with the buttons?

No, we replaced the main control circuit board that the "ribbon" plugs into. We had this EXACT problem "before" replacing the NEW circuit board......last week. It may be possible that somehow the "ribbon is the issue, read somewhere to clean it with rubbing alcohol or there could be a tiny break in the ribbon? I don't see this but just saying....

Was the part number W10285180?

Part Number is *****
Part Number is ***** B

FThe part number for model DU1055XTVSA is W10285180. Who gave you the other part number?

The electrician did it, not my expertise.
Again, it worked fine for 2 days, now back to square one.

All I can say is that that is not the part number for your dishwasher. Here is the parts list so you can look it up yourself. Sounds like you should have the electrician come back and honor his work. He needs the correct control. Part list link

Okay thanks Dave.

Best wishes to you.

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave