Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Stan - My duet dryer doesn't dry my clothes completely.

Customer Question
Stan - My duet...

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

We must use the heavy duty setting, and yet when the indicator show done, the clothes are still damp and must be cycled again.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/19/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. Does the dryer get the clothes hot but just seem to take a lot longer than it has in the past?

The clothes do get hot, but the dryer seems to think that they are dry and shuts off too soon, thuis they are warm and damp.

Thanks. There are several possible issues so we will start with the most common. Often the vent tubing in the house or the vent hood are clogged. Poor airflow is the number one cause of slow drying. Do you know where the vent comes out of the house? Can you start the dryer and see how much air is coming out?

I will do that.

Let me know what you see and if needed we will go to the next step.

Well - I thought I knew which vent was the dryer, but now I find that it was not the one I thought. Apparently it must be one of the ones that is too high for me to reach?

That could be if the dryer is on the second floor. Can you see if the flap is open on one of them after you start the dryer?

I think I have identified it. It has a plastic grate over it, but I think I can hear it.
The house is like a "split level" with a basement on the downside of a hill. The run from the dryer to the vent opening has to be 50 feet or so.

Wow! Another option is to pull out the dryer and remove the vent and run one test load. There will be a lot of heat, moisture and lint but it lets you know if the vent is the issue.

I'm thin*****, *****, that I may do that tomorrow or Sunday when I have time. I have a couple pieces of 4" PVC pipe that I can use to vent it into the garage. The dryer is a really tight fit and the vent was on the wrong side - so when we installed it, the turn angles were extreme. I suppose my problem could be with that!
It occurs to me, though, that the lint screen is often quite full - which would indicate that the vent is blowing the air well?

Yes, every 90 degree bend is like adding 6' of tubing. It gets very restrictive. Let me know what happens.

How did you do checking the vent or did you run a load with the vent off? Do you still need help?

Hello again. One last thing to do that helps. Wash the lint filter with water and detergent. When you first put water in it the water might lay on top because of fabric softener build up. You can't see it but it block air. Let me know how you are doing. Do you still need help?