Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Control panel is reading Controls locked. If I press

Customer Question
Control panel is reading...

Control panel is reading Controls locked. If I press Pause/Cancel and Control on at the same time, lights come back-on in control panel, control locked remains lit, but I cannot use any of the functions, they are all locked

Contractor's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is there anything else the Appliance Technician should be aware of?

No just that it is a whirlpool washer and the controls show as locked

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/19/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician

Hello, this is Dave and I'm happy to help you. I will need more information to be able to help you or direct you to the proper expert. What appliance is this? What is the brand and model number please? Thanks.

It is a Whirlpool Duet HT model # *****

Thanks, ***** ***** model you need to press and hold the End of cycle button for 3 seconds and the controls will unlock.

I tried that and it did not work, please note that the door is not locked, it is just the controls are locked

Okay, Here is plan B. Unplug the washer for a minute and press the cancel button a few times while unlugged. Plug it back in and repeat the control unlock step.

How did plan B work? It often does work but if it did not work there is a bigger problem that will require parts.

Plan B did not work

Okay, we can try to get into diagnostics but if either the control or the buttons are the problem it may not work. Here are the steps from the techsheet.

■ Close the door. ■ Push CONTROL/ON (if present on this model). ■ Select the DRAIN/SPIN cycle. ■ Select NO SPIN by pressing the SPIN SPEED touch-pad. ■ Push PREWASH OPTION four times within five seconds. If PREWASH OPTION is not present on this model, press RINSE HOLD four times within five seconds. C:00 will light up on the display. If the Starting procedure fails, push the PAUSE/CANCEL touch-pad, then repeat the starting procedure. Test Program Control In order to advance to the next step of the test procedure, push PREWASH OPTION touch-pad two times. If PREWASH OPTION is not present on this model, press RINSE HOLD two times.

I cannot get any of the controls to work, therefore I cannot select NO SPIN, the control panel is defaulted on the DRAIN/SPIN cycle but the control panel still reads "controls locked"

Okay, it becomes a problem to determine if this is the main control board or the touch control in the front. It would do this if there was an overfill or stuck pressure switch but then you would hear the drain pump running and it would display an error code. Since there is no code it may be the control. One test is to listen for a slight click when you plug in the washer. That is the main relay in the control. No click and you need the control.

I do not hear a click when I plug in the washer

It is not very loud but it would be on the upper right side.

No sorry no sound when I plug in the washer

This is not foolproof but you need the control.

is there a part of this message that I am missing? This is what I received "This is not foolproof but you need the control."

That was it. The control not clicking is an indication that the main control has failed but this sign is not 100% foolproof. When the buttons do not respond at all it can be the control or the front touch control. I was just saying that there is some risk that it is not the control. Either part is fairly expensive and the control is the most.

it is time to call a technician to come to the house?

I would suggest that rather than replacing the wrong board the first time.

Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave