Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Viking side/side 36" has been slowly over the last 2 days…

Customer Question
My Viking side/side 36" has...
My Viking side/side 36" has been slowly over the last 2 days not cooling. It started in the bottom freezer (currently 44 degrees) now the refrigerator is running about 60 degrees. My ice maker was the first to go.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/18/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! You either have a problem with the air flow or there is a sealed refrigeration system issue. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?

I am not at home currently, I can hear the fan running and there is moisture on back wall

Is it moisture beads or frost, looking like snow?

No frost, temp in freezer 55 degrees

Okay, the refrigerant has leaked out. This is a repair that will require an on site visit, that is the bad news. The good news is that if it is less than 5 years old, it is probably covered under the limited sealed system warranty. This repair requires extensive training, special tools and a federal license to repair sealed systems and work with refrigerant.

It is 8 years old. Is the cost worth the repair in most cases? I know the name Viking jacks the price up.

I would estimate repair to be around $1000 or so. I would probably not repair it unless it is a built in model.