Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

MTF2195AE - my freezer won't get cold enough to freeze

Customer Question
MTF2195AE - my freezer...

MTF2195AE - my freezer won't get cold enough to freeze anything

Contractor's Assistant: Huh?

I gave you the model of my fridge - the freezer compartment is not freezing

Contractor's Assistant: Sometimes appliance issues that that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Appliance Technician I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so we can help you best.

Did you get my symptom?

Contractor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Appliance Technician should know?

Just what I gave you

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/17/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

The first thing you'll need to do is pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. Look at the silver evaporator coils behind this panel and are they packed with frost, lightly frosted from top to bottom, some frost on top but not on bottom, not frost at all, etc... ? Also, is the fan above the coils running?

The fan was running when I opened the door. The next time I opened it, the fan wasn't running. The area on the top right above it was "warm". The fridge is cold, the freezer is cool but not freezing cold. The back cover is off and the silver coils were frozen at the bottom, not at the top. There was a round thing wrapped in tape above it and it was covered in frost. The top 2/3 of the coil was not frozen.

OK so unfortunately this means you have a freon leak or an inefficient compressor. The coils should be lightly frosted from top to bottom. Make sure the fan down by the compressor is running to cool the compressor and the coils below the refrigerator are clean. If that all checks good, then you'd need a technician out to check the freon pressure to see if you have a leak or need a new compressor. A freon leak is about $450 to have repaired and a new compressor is about $650 so it may not be worth fixing, but that is up to you.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Ok strange occurrence. I emptied the fridge and freezer and let it sit with the doors open for 24 hours then plugged back in. Now I have a bottle of water in the freezer and it is frozen solid. VERY cold in there??

That's not that strange. Often times if you let the compressor cool down, it'll start functioning again but after a couple days or weeks it will eventually act up again. It does mean that you don't have a freon leak. That confirms that your compressor itself is the part failing and would need to be replaced.

Ok it was cold for a week and now the freezer fan is not running and the freezer compartment is not cold again. Does that for sure mean a bad compressor? The fridge compartment is about 35 degrees and perfect.

Yes, unfortunately you just have a bad compressor. I had warned you that the issue comes back after a couple of days or weeks, but you'd need a new compressor which is about $650 to have replaced if you wanted to repair the issue. It may not be worth fixing at that cost but that's up to you to decide. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Tyler Z., Appliance Doc