Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a Cabrio inside the number is wtw 6600 swo my washer…

Customer Question
I have a Cabrio inside...
I have a Cabrio inside the number is ***** 6600 swo
my washer spins during washg but doesn't do final spin leaving clothes soaking wet.
The indicator area reads 5L what shoul I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/16/2016
Appliance Technician: Tyler Z., Appliance Doc replied 2 years ago
Tyler Z., Appliance Doc

This error is actually supposed to be an "SL" which means that your washer thinks it's in suds lock. In other words, it doesn't think the washer can drain the water down and engage the basket. The first thing you want to do is remove the drain pump below the tub and remove any debris you find in the pump or the pump housing connection. If you find nothing, then just drain all the water in the tub out and see if the washer will spin with all the water drained out. If so, then try the washer again and if it acts up replace the drain pump because it's not draining all the water needed.

On the other hand, if removing all the water has no effect and the washer still won't spin out and gives you the SL error, then your inner basket isn't engaging properly. The basket drops down to engage in spin which is how it knows if the water has been drained or not. You'll need to remove the inner basket and check the plastic hubs below the basket. Below are the steps to follow if you are mechanically able to tackle it:

1. Unplug the power cord

2. Lift the top of the washer up, to do this there are 2 latches in the seams between the top and
the bottom sections. These latches are about 6 1/2 inches from the right side and left side of the washer. You need to insert a small screwdriver (be careful not to scratch the paint) and push the latch while lifting the top section.

3. The top will actually fold back leaving the inner tube fully exposed. Support the glass lid so it doesn’t get damaged because it is very heavy and will fall open when you flip the top back.

4. Remove the plastic top of the tub. There is one hose connected at the back and there are several snaps around the outer edge that hold it on. Remove the hose and unsnap the snaps and set it aside.

5. Remove the cap covering the very center of the agitator. It is just snapped in place and can be pried off with a small screwdriver.

6. Remove the center screw under the cap.

7. Remove the agitator, you need to lift it evenly and might have to work your way around by pulling on one of the three fins and then the next and so on. I also had luck using a small pair of needle nose pliers and grabbing a small lip inside the area where the screw was and pulling from there.

8. Remove the 6 Phillips screws in the middle holding the plastic top gear in place. Be very careful you don’t drop one of the screws because it can fall through the slots in the basket and be lost below.

9. Remove the plastic top gear.

10. Pull the plastic lower gear off of the splined shaft. It should pull right off.

11. Now you need to pull the basket up and off of the shaft. This is where you might have problems because the basket might be corroded to the shaft. If you can grab the basket on both sides under the outer lip and pull upward it might pull up. If not, then you will have to figure out a way to get it off.

12. Once the basket is off you will notice there is liquid inside of it. That is factory sealed in there so do not worry about that, it is normal.

13. With the basket is off you will be able to see that the shaft is probably corroded and the inside bearing on the basket is corroded. Clean these both off very good and check to see if the basket can easily go back on the shaft and slide up and down without getting stuck. You may need to sand and file the shaft a little bit to get it totally cleaned up. The inner bearing of the basket is plastic so it is pretty easy to clean with light sanding.

14. Reassemble in the reverse order and your done. Check to make sure the basket can easily float now by pulling up on it from the top inside lips.

If the basket still won't slide up and down smoothly or the shaft is just too corroded to clean, then you'll need to replace the main bearing/shaft/and seal on the washer.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.