Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Whirlpool Gold Refridgerator Model: GD5SHAXNS00 Ser:

Customer Question
Whirlpool Gold Refridgerator Model: GD5SHAXNS00 Ser: SS4160221 Gentlemen: I...
Whirlpool Gold Refridgerator
Model: GD5SHAXNS00
Ser: SS4160221
Gentlemen:
I have an icemaker with water and Ice on the freezer door. The ice cube maker is holding a frozen batch of cubes. The electric eye that detects the ice level in the hopper is blinking. Is there a reset button or a trick to get the system to cycle and dump the cubes into the hopper. I have played with freezer temp settings from 1 to 4 to see what happens. Also, recently the icemaker would not refill the tray. I filled manually with a squirt bottle and the system began cycling normally again. Now it will not flip the frozen tray into the hopper. I am thinking there must be reset or some way to trick it into dumping the fresh cubes and refill again. Any ideas???????? Thanks, Pete
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/16/2016
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago
Joel Swenson

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for using JA! If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner.

Give me just a minute and I will be right with you I am working on your answer now please be patient as I may have to look up part numbers and or refer the service manual to give you the most informative answer possible depending on your question.

Keep in mind we are on the honor system for our time so I ask that you take the time to give me a rating by clicking on the 5 star rating system before you leave today it will be available for you to click on once I have answered your request. Thank you.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

Your system uses two optic control boards to tell when the ice bin is full of ice. There is an emitter control board that sends out an infrared beam, and a receiver board that receives the infrared beam. When the ice container fills up with ice, the beam is blocked, and it tells the ice maker to stop filling up with ice. If the ice maker optic control boards fail, it can cause the ice maker to continue to make ice even when it is full of ice or turned off, or it can cause the ice maker to not produce any ice at all.

To test:

open the freezer door and look at the status LED on the right hand side. Make sure the ice maker control is turned “ON”. The status LED should blink twice, pause, and then repeat (blink blink…. pause. blink blink… pause).

Next, with the freezer door open, hold down the flapper door on the left hand side to un-block the optics beam. With the optics beam unblocked, the status LED should light up and stay on (not blink). If the status LED continues to blink twice, then you have faulty optic control boards and they will need to be replaced luckily they both come together in a kit.

Refrigerator Emitter And Receiver Board Kit
Part #:(###) ###-####/a>

let me know how the test goes and if you have any further questions, in the meantime:

We are on the honor system for our time so I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page.

This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. Thank you for your immediate attention in taking

care of this.

If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know.