Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** buford. I have a Kenmore elite

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** ***** buford. I have a Kenmore elite electric dryer, smartheat quietpak 9. , model # ***** I am replacing a thermal fuse. I noticed that right next to the fuse is a thermistor. Do you know what the function of the thermistor is? Is it used by the fuse to help break the circuit when unit overheats?

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I have a Kenmore elite electric dryer, smartheat quietpak 9. , model # ***** I am replacing a thermal fuse. I noticed that right next to the fuse is a thermistor. Do you know what the function of the thermistor is? Is it used by the fuse to help break the circuit when unit overheats?Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/appliance/7yp5d-kenmore-elite-smartheat-quietpak-front-load-dryer-won-t.html#ixzz40GMwVYIM

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/15/2016
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago
Joel Swenson

Hello, I'm Joel thank you for using JA! If you have been waiting a while
I apologize as I try to help as many customers as possible in a timely manner.

Give me just a minute and I will be right with you I am working on your answer now please be patient as I may have to look up part numbers and or refer the service manual to give you the most informative answer possible depending on your question.

Keep in mind we are on the honor system for our time so I ask that you take the time to give me a rating by clicking on the 5 star rating system before you leave today it will be available for you to click on once I have answered your request. Thank you.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

A thermistor is a type of resistor that varies it’s resistance with the change in temperature. Its mostly used for the automatic cycle so that it knows when the clothes are dry. When the thermistor fails, it can cause the dryer to not heat at all, get too hot but it will not keep the unit from running as in the case of the thermal fuse.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

If you would like to check the thermistor then

• With the thermistor removed from the dryer, you will need to use an ohm meter or multi-meter to measure the resistance of the thermistor.
  • Place one of each of the probes from the meter on each terminal of thermistor. With the thermistor at room temperature, the thermistor should read approximately 50-53k ohms. If the thermistor is off by more than 10% then the sensor will need to be replaced.

I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. If you don't see it please let me know.

Please be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site as this rating reflects on me not on the site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

Before leaving a negative rating please discuss it with me first so I can have a chance to remedy the issue.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

What is the best way to enter the dryer to replace the thermal fuse. By going through the back panel, going through the front, other?, explain, thanks
Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

here is a video that shows the easiest way to get to them:

video click here

please remember to give me a rating before you leave today, you can still ask any follow questions after rating if needed, thanks so much.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. Thank you for your immediate attention in taking

care of this.

If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

care of this.

Appliance Technician: Joel Swenson,
 replied 2 years ago

care of this.