Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

We have only had our refrigerator about 8 months and lately

Customer Question

We have only had our refrigerator about 8 months and lately whenever the door is opened on the refrigerator side, there is a bad odor that permeates the air. It's not really a bad smell, but it is getting worse.
The filter says it is still good but I'm wondering if it is something else.
Can you help us with this.
Thank you.
Jim and Carol Goodroe
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 year ago.

The odor you are referring to is most likely caused by decayed broccoli, cauliflower,or lettuce. As they let off a gas that reacts with the poly liner .

You can try a mixture of warm water & vanilla extract wipe out whole ref. Also can put a few pieces of charcoal (do not use the type that has lighter fluid in it) The charcoal will absorb odors.

Now if it were a samsung designed unit that would be a different story because there is a class action lawsuit for the defrost drain design it backs up water under the crisper drawers in the unit and causes a bad chemical smell, but that would not pertain to a whirlpool made unit.

I Kindly ask you to rate my service BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODAY by clicking 3 or better on the STAR RATING SYSTEM at the top of your page. If you don't see it please let me know.

Please be aware that this rating is for the quality of my response, not a rating for the overall experience you have had on this site as this rating reflects on me not on the site.

Rating me will not in any way affect the amount you agreed to pay for the question. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions.

Before leaving a negative rating please discuss it with me first so I can have a chance to remedy the issue.

TIPS are not expected but are GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thank you!

I see this question is still open, If there is nothing else I can do for you concerning this

issue would you please rate my service by choosing a star at the top of the page so that I

can put this question on my completed list. Thank you for your immediate attention in taking

care of this.

If you feel there is a reason you should not give me a rating please let me know.