Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Maytag refrigerator MFD2560HEW runs continuously. freezer…

Customer Question
Maytag refrigerator MFD2560HEW runs continuously...
Maytag refrigerator MFD2560HEW runs continuously. freezer gets very cold, refrigerator compartment operates normal keeping top refrigerator cool. It appears as though the freezer thermostat is not shouting off compressor. I have set the freezer at the lowest ( warmest setting) compressor continues to run cooling freezer to -15f
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/14/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now.

You either have a bad thermister or bad board. You can check the resistance of the thermister in the freezer with an ohm meter. 10K ohms at 32 degrees or 22500 ohms at 0 degrees. If that is good replace the control board.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Where is this freezer thermostat located?

It is on the back wall of the freezer in the upper right corner.

When I select the refrigerator control setting to off the cooling fan turns off but the compressor continues to run. Is this the correct operation.

No that is not normal, have you tried to unplug the unit for a full minute to reset it completely?