Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Frgidaire Refrigerator side by side model #LFUS2613LFO

Customer Question
4years old yesterday i noticed freezer...
4years old
yesterday i noticed freezer stopped working, everything felt cool but not frozen, refrigerator also felt cool but not anywhere near 37degrees, i kinda think that freezer door was not closed as tight as it should have been as food was pushed against it? i took everything out of freezer and removed evaporator coil cover as ice was all built up around it.. i defrosted with hair dryer and plugged it back in. below is time and temp i recorded, in almost 3 hours it only dropped about 10 degrees. IS IT NORMAL AGAIN? any other input is greatly appreciated.
thanks mac
10.30am
freezer-55 refrigerator-60
1.30pm
freezer-43 refrigerator-54
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/13/2016
Appliance Technician: Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician replied 2 years ago
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician

Hello and thanks for using this service, if you have been waiting do not worry or get upset I am just one of the techs on here and I try to get to as many customers as I can and I just picked up your question now. Please give me time to respond sometimes I get your replies late so there may be a delay in my response.

Did the ice cover the whole coil or just a small section?

Hello
Only top section of coil, it was a pretty heavy clump of ice

Yeah that is what I thought, that means the unit is pretty low on freon. You have a sealed system leak likely a bad evaporator like all the other Frigidaire units. The cost to have this fixed will run $600-800. I would start looking for a new unit.

We are on the honor system for our time, all I ask is please rate my service using the STAR RATING SYSTEM on your page before you leave. If you are not happy with the service please let me know before leaving a negative rating. This is the only way I am paid or credited through the site for my time. This will also allow you to get directly back to me for FREE follow up questions and tips are greatly appreciated! Thanks

I just looked in freezer again and it is starting to build up again. I just thought of something else, I was in bathroom other day right above where refrigerator is located, I heard a sound almost like a heavy spring breaking! Could that have been something todo with evaporater?

No that would have nothing to do with that, the system is just out of freon, that is the problem here. Very common I am afraid to say.

Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician