Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My Kitchenmaid 6qt professional lift bowl stand mixer is 11…

Customer Question
My Kitchenmaid 6qt professional lift...
My Kitchenmaid 6qt professional lift bowl stand mixer is 11 years old, I think, and has never had any service performed. Lately, it sounds like it is straining regardless of beater speed selected and what is being mixed, e.g., egg whites beaten at speed 2 sound as "painful" as stiff icing. Any ideas what might be going on or what I might do to try to fix it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/13/2016
Appliance Technician: Dave, Home Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Dave
Dave, Home Appliance Technician

It's either your speed control, or the motor brushes.

Is this something I can repair myself? My husband and I are both fairly handy.

You can check the brushes by unscrewing the access covers. There is one on each side. The speed control is accessible by removing the trim piece and removing the top of the mixer.

Thanks! We found the problem. The bearing on the front end of the worm gear is broken.

I'm happy to have been of help.