Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** and I a having a dryer problem
,

Customer Question
Hello my name is...

Hello my name is ***** ***** and I a having a dryer problem

Contractor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Ill give you the history first. my dryer kept shutting down after 5 minutes of use, I replaced the heating element and it worked fine for a week now it is emitting a burnt smell so I cleaned it out, took the back off and vacuumed it clean from any lint but it still emits a burning aroma

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/13/2016
Appliance Technician: ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
ApplianceTech
ApplianceTech, Appliance Technician

Hello and thankyou for using this service!

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are having with your dryer

Let's work together to find out what is wrong :)

When you say it turns off, do you mean it just stops dead and if you press the start button, you get nothing, no sound.

Then what do you do to get it going again, just wait and then it starts up?

when it cools down it will run again for 5 minutes then shuts down, after replacing the hating element it runs but I have a burnt smell now. I cleaned it out and it still smells

It sounds like you have a problem with the motor. There is a thermal cutout inside the motor that prevent it from starting on fire if it get too hot. Then, once it cools down it resets itself and youcan restart it. Many times when the motor is going bad it will make an odd sound briefly before it starts up. If you keep trying to start the dryer the sound will get a little longer in duration, until it just stop trying to start. It will also, give off a smell like burning paint ro varnish as the winding heat up inside the motor.

Are you getting any of these descriptions on your dryer?

nope, no noises and it runs fine now that I replaced the heating element. I replaced the thermal fuse also when it was stopping. now I have just the burning smell. I vacuumed it out, there is no lint yet it still smells

OK, so now the only problem is the odor? It will stay running?

it runs, just cant figure out the burning smell
smells eletrical

How far have you taken it apart? Have you removed the drum and exposed the motor?

no, I haven't
just the element and thermal fuse replacement and cleaning it out

I would have you check the motor, it would cause the symptoms you are describing.

What is the model number and I can help you get it apart.

CED137SXQ0

here is a video on taking the front off. Get down to the motor and see if you don"t have lint built up on the windings. Take a shop vac and clean everything and put it back together

video link

Once you get it clean you should not hve a problem unless the motor is going bad.

.

We are on the honor system here. Please rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

If you feel I have provided superior service, a bonus is much appreciated , but never required. Thanks for giving me the opportunity to help you out!

Don

Were you able to het your dryer taken apart?

I got it apart and there was no lint build up, everything looked good but it still smells.. I don't know what else it could be.
I'm sorry to have bothered you with this problem. I will just have to either take it to an appliance repair store or scrap it.

As you can see when you took it apart, there is many places for something to hide that has a smell. An electric smell can only come from a couple places, the motor or something up in the control panel. Is the smell coming when it is running or shutoff or both?
If the smell is coming when it off, it should be easy enough to get down by the motor and get a whif. You could do the same up in the console. Otherwise , you could just reassemble it and let it run for a while and see if you can force the issue to determine what is malfunctioning. Nothing is going to blow up or start on fire.

Thank you for your assistance, I was and am very pleased with the assistance and knowledgeable services you have given. I would definitely recommend you to anyone else that has questions or concerns about their appliance.

thanks for your kind response.

Please rate my service by selecting a star or smiley face at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Don