Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Fggf3056kff range. Converted to propane. Right side burners…

Customer Question
fggf3056kff range. Converted to...
fggf3056kff range. Converted to propane. Right side burners (5btu and 17btu) have yellow flame (soots bottom of pans) and the left side burners and the over burn properly. Any answers?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/11/2016
Appliance Technician: Rick, Repair Guy replied 2 years ago
Rick
Rick, Repair Guy

Hello my name is***** wil assist you today. You did change the orfices also correct

Previous owner (house is 6 years old) had orifices converted when it was installed.

But your issue is just now happening or has it been this way for 6 years?

If this is a new issue that did not happen before, then I would have to lean to the regulator or gas valve as your issue.

We bought the house in April of 2015 and it's been that way from the day we moved in. Frigidair is useless for assistance other than sell me a warranty or have a tech come out. I am a professional handyman of 20 years and can take this stove apart and replace parts but I don't know what is causing this issue and have not found anyone who knows or has had this issue. Would the improper orifice cause this issue?
Does the regulator or the gas valve have an internal "split' for each burner side?

If the orfices were changed 6 years ago, then you should not have to change them, but if they were not which is what it sounds like. I would suggest changing the orfices, this happens way to often. The kit is only $24.92 part number GRLP3, you can order it from www.automaticappliance.com

I do not know about the gas valve, I would not believe it would know sides

I can get everything from Fox Appliance locally (Atlanta) - but - will that solve the problem? Why is this occurring only on the right side?

Maybe only one side was changed? I really can not explain the reason one side is different.

you are saying that this issue occurs with an improperly sized orifice? Why did you suggest the reg and/or valve? Have you run into this exact situation before? If so, what was the fix?

At first i felt like the orfices may have been changed, but since you are not the original owner, I think I was assuming wrong. IF they had been changed then the only other piece suppling gas is the valve or regulator, depending on how this unit is set up. If the unit does not have the correct orfice it will give you soot, and yellow flames, both of which you have. I repaired a unit yesterday that only had half the valves changed. It is very common to see this issue with propane units.

Great! lets say the orifices ARE the correct size. What would the regulator or the valve have to do with this issue? Unless it's a "split" reg or valve - that doesn't seem like it would cause only one side to do this. I just don't want to nickel dime myself to death on this.

If the orfices are the correct size the only other piece controling gas flow in this unit is the regulator. I can not tell you how or why a part is broke, but I can read a parts diagram and have a fairly mechanical mind. A wrong orfice size or wrong pressure with the only thing making the flames different sizes. As far as the soot the gas comes from the right side to the left, Maybe the closer to the regulator the burner is the higher the pressure allowing the soot to come out easier. Your first step is to change those orfices.

Ok. I'll change the orifices. Can i get back to you after without charge for follow up if that doesn't solve the issue?

Yes you can get back to me anytime by just coming back to this link. Please take a moment to rate my answers before you leave in case you get busy and forget to come back after this is fixed. Rating my answer does not close the call, but we only get paid for working on calls that we recieve positive ratings.

Thanks. Had to leave suddenly. I'll keep you posted and submit review.

Ok thank you