Need appliance repair help? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I need help with the wiring of a universal thermostat in my…

Customer Question
I need help with the...
I need help with the wiring of a universal thermostat in my old range.
My gas range is a Kenmore Country Kitchen from 1970, model(###) ###-####
It has a variable broil and variable bake option.
In the old thermostat:
1 was connected to a red wire to the clock
2 was connected to a red wire to the oven light indicator
3 was not connected to anything
4 was connected to a blue wire going into the wall of the oven
5 was connected to a yellow wire going to the wall of the oven
In the new universal thermostat, there is L1, L2, Broil, Bake, and LP.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Appliance
2/5/2016
Appliance Technician: Kelly, Appliance Technician replied 2 years ago
Kelly, Appliance Technician

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! Without a schematic, I can only give you basic instructions. The L1 and L2 are line voltage wires, one of which is likely the red wire from the clock. I am not sure how they are switching the other line voltage, you will need to test voltage for that. The bake and broil are likely the blue and yellow wires, you will need to trace where they go. The wire to the indicator light goes on the LP terminal.

Shoot! The part I need is missing. Can you tell where the yellow and blue leads go?

The yellow and blue go to a hole towards the oven. I could probably find where they go by opening the back panel. I will need to do this tomorrow because the range is in a cabin in the mountain.

That will be fine. Take many pictures, the more information I have the better.

HI Kelly,
I was wrong, both broil and bottom burner have a flame switch and are wired the same (thermostat to flame switch, to solenoide). I tried today using the yellow for bake and blue for broil. The broil worked but the blue didn't. The broil did not vary the temperature. In addition, the broil comes on if I turn the oven on, at any temperature. I seems like I need a flame switch for the bottom and to figure out why the broil turns on all the time.

I will see if I can find a wiring schematic that is complete. While I look, I am going to alert the others in case someone has that information readily available.